Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   openchrome in portage (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/60307-openchrome-portage.html)

Uwe Thiem 03-25-2008 12:21 PM

openchrome in portage
 
Hi folks,

xf86-video-openchrome is now in portage. So there is no need to keep
the overlay. I deleted it and removed the "source" line
in /etc/make.conf. I have the following line in make.conf:
VIDEO_CARDS="openchrome via"

Now I get this:
uwix ~ # emerge --pretend --verbose xorg-server

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r3 USE="dri hal ipv6
sdl xorg -3dfx -debug -dmx -kdrive -minimal (-nptl) -xprint"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard
mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro -elo2300 -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio -joystick-magellan -microtouch -mutouch -palmax -penmount -spaceorb -summa -synaptics -tek4957 -ur98 -vmmouse -void -wacom"
VIDEO_CARDS="via -amd -apm-ark -chips -cirrus -cyrix -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 -i740 -i810
(-impact) -imstt -mach64 -mga -neomagic
(-newport) -nsc -nv -nvidia -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb
(-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo)
(-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vermilion -vesa -vga -vmware -voodoo -xgi
(-openchrome%*)" 0 kB

Why on earth is it excluding openchrome?

Uh, I am on ~x86, so this is not the problem.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Alan McKinnon 03-25-2008 01:08 PM

openchrome in portage
 
On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> xf86-video-openchrome is now in portage. So there is no need to keep
> the overlay. I deleted it and removed the "source" line
> in /etc/make.conf. I have the following line in make.conf:
> VIDEO_CARDS="openchrome via"
>
> Now I get this:
> uwix ~ # emerge --pretend --verbose xorg-server
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r3 USE="dri hal ipv6
> sdl xorg -3dfx -debug -dmx -kdrive -minimal (-nptl) -xprint"
> INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard
> mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro
> -elo2300 -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio -joystick-magellan
> -microtouch -mutouch -palmax -penmount -spaceorb -summa -synaptics
> -tek4957 -ur98 -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="via -amd -apm-ark
> -chips -cirrus -cyrix -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 -i740
> -i810 (-impact) -imstt -mach64 -mga -neomagic
> (-newport) -nsc -nv -nvidia -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge
> -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3)
> (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng
> -v4l -vermilion -vesa -vga -vmware -voodoo -xgi (-openchrome%*)" 0 kB
>
> Why on earth is it excluding openchrome?

Because the xorg-server ebuild does not support openchrome. yet. Just
add openchrome to world until it does


--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Uwe Thiem 03-25-2008 01:24 PM

openchrome in portage
 
On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > xf86-video-openchrome is now in portage. So there is no need to
> > keep the overlay. I deleted it and removed the "source" line
> > in /etc/make.conf. I have the following line in make.conf:
> > VIDEO_CARDS="openchrome via"
> >
> > Now I get this:
> > uwix ~ # emerge --pretend --verbose xorg-server
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r3 USE="dri hal
> > ipv6 sdl xorg -3dfx -debug -dmx -kdrive -minimal (-nptl) -xprint"
> > INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard
> > mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro
> > -elo2300 -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio
> > -joystick-magellan -microtouch -mutouch -palmax -penmount
> > -spaceorb -summa -synaptics -tek4957 -ur98 -vmmouse -void -wacom"
> > VIDEO_CARDS="via -amd -apm-ark -chips -cirrus -cyrix -dummy
> > -epson -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 -i740 -i810 (-impact) -imstt
> > -mach64 -mga -neomagic
> > (-newport) -nsc -nv -nvidia -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge
> > -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14)
> > (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga
> > -trident -tseng -v4l -vermilion -vesa -vga -vmware -voodoo -xgi
> > (-openchrome%*)" 0 kB
> >
> > Why on earth is it excluding openchrome?
>
> Because the xorg-server ebuild does not support openchrome. yet.
> Just add openchrome to world until it does

Well, didn't look into the ebuild. You are right. Now, why and how did
it work with the overlay?

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Alan McKinnon 03-25-2008 02:24 PM

openchrome in portage
 
On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > > Why on earth is it excluding openchrome?
> >
> > Because the xorg-server ebuild does not support openchrome. yet.
> > Just add openchrome to world until it does
>
> Well, didn't look into the ebuild. You are right. Now, why and how
> did it work with the overlay?

I know nothing about that overlay, so I'm just guessing. Perhaps the
overlay had a patched xorg-server?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Michael Schmarck 03-25-2008 02:25 PM

openchrome in portage
 
Uwe Thiem <uwix@iway.na> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> xf86-video-openchrome is now in portage. So there is no need to keep
> the overlay. I deleted it and removed the "source" line
> in /etc/make.conf. I have the following line in make.conf:
> VIDEO_CARDS="openchrome via"
>
> Now I get this:
> uwix ~ # emerge --pretend --verbose xorg-server
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r3 USE="dri hal ipv6
> sdl xorg -3dfx -debug -dmx -kdrive -minimal (-nptl) -xprint"
> INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard
> mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro -elo2300
> -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio -joystick-magellan -microtouch
> -mutouch -palmax -penmount -spaceorb -summa -synaptics -tek4957 -ur98
> -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="via -amd -apm-ark -chips -cirrus
> -cyrix -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 -i740 -i810 (-impact)
> -imstt -mach64 -mga -neomagic (-newport) -nsc -nv -nvidia -r128 -radeon
> -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2)
> (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga
> -trident -tseng -v4l -vermilion -vesa -vga -vmware -voodoo -xgi
> (-openchrome%*)" 0 kB
>
> Why on earth is it excluding openchrome?

Because xorg-server doesn't list it in VIDEO_CARDS. For
the time being, you need to install xf86-video-openchrome
"manually". I bet that an upcoming rev/rel of xorg-server
will fix this "problem".


Michael

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list

Uwe Thiem 03-25-2008 03:51 PM

openchrome in portage
 
On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > > > Why on earth is it excluding openchrome?
> > >
> > > Because the xorg-server ebuild does not support openchrome.
> > > yet. Just add openchrome to world until it does
> >
> > Well, didn't look into the ebuild. You are right. Now, why and
> > how did it work with the overlay?
>
> I know nothing about that overlay, so I'm just guessing. Perhaps
> the overlay had a patched xorg-server?

The openchrome tarball from the overlay is identical to the one in
portage. Actually, the overlay was just moved into portage I guess.
Anyway, any patch in the overlay tarball must then also be in the
portage one.

Alright, I stop here. It's just something puzzling me - and I don't
like that without understanding it. ;-)

BTW, KDE4 is far smoother now. Animations are faster. Still, no shiny
composite effects of KDE without crashing the whole session. Guess, I
have to ask the openchrome folks whether they have any ETA for this.

Another thing is that the latest MESA release is quite old. They used
to have a new release every 2 - 3 months. This might be related as
well. Unfortunately, they don't have any kind of roadmap on their web
site. So one doesn't know when to expect a new version.

Yes, I know: Get a decent video subsystem. Not that easy. The Intel
chips (most probably enough for my purpose) only reside on mobos. ATI
drivers are in the process of catching up and will probably be there
in six or so months' time - but they aren't now. Nvidia, yes nvidia.
Would rather try to avoid them. So not too many options for me short
of throwing the whole mobo out.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.