-   -   Install problem - SATA CD-ROM drive (SOLVED) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/602889-install-problem-sata-cd-rom-drive-solved.html)

Paul Colquhoun 11-26-2011 12:12 AM

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:28:50 PM Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 11:01 +1100, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> > Some research tells me that this is a problem with SATA CD-ROMs, and
> > needs a
> > kernel configured with the libata module option atapi_enabled=1
> >
> > Does anybody know of a Live CD that will work with a SATA CD drive?
>
> AFAIK most (all) modern computers that have CDROM drives are SATA, at
> least the one i bought a couple of years ago does.. so I'm wondering if
> your problem is not that you have a SATA CDROM but something else.
>
> Have you tried boot media other than the Gentoo livecd?

Actually I had tried 4 boot media *other* *than* the Gentoo livecd, for the
simple reason that I thought they had stopped making them!

Stupid me.

Looking at the Gentoo download page, they have an AMD64 minimal install CD
image created just days ago.

The Gentoo livecd works! I should have looked there first and saved myself a
lot of trouble (and 4 blank CDs!).

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

Dale 11-26-2011 04:29 AM

Paul Colquhoun wrote:

[...]

Could it be something in the BIOS maybe? My rig that I built last year
has a SATA CD/DVD burner and it boots Gentoo CDs, Knoppix, systemrescue
and another that I can't recall. Knotix (?) or something. It should
work. You may want to try systemrescue if you haven't already. I'd
figure this out before something happens and you have to boot something
to fix it.

Dale

:-) :-)