Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Paul Colquhoun

Default Install problem - SATA CD-ROM drive

I've just started building a new system from scratch, and have run into a
problem.

The motherboard only has SATA and USB conectors, no legacy IDE/PATA/FDD/etc
connectors at all.

The problem is that all 4 of the Live CDs I have tried fail to boot
completely.

All of them bring up the initial menus, then run the kernel, but then fail at
the same point, which is when they attempt to (re)mount the filesystems from
the CD, which they all claim not to be able to find.

Selecting a shell at this point shows that there are no /dev/sr? devices
detected, and all the /dev/sd? devices correspont to hard drives.

Some research tells me that this is a problem with SATA CD-ROMs, and needs a
kernel configured with the libata module option atapi_enabled=1

Does anybody know of a Live CD that will work with a SATA CD drive?

The other option I am exploring is borrowing a USB CD drive to see if that
will work.

All I need it for is the initial bootstrap into Gentoo.

With the growing trend of SATA-only motherboards, I hope there is at least 1
Live CD out there that works.

The Live CD versions that I have tried are:
Sabayon Awsome 7
Kubuntu 11.10
Fedora-16
SystemRescueCD 2.4.0

P.S. This is an AMD64 motherboard, so a 64 bit kernel is needed.

Thanks.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.