Old 11-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default wicd and net-tools

In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.

The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).

Neither of these have helped me. Wicd cannot start either the
wired or wireless interface.

When I type
killall dhcpd; dhcpd

Both networks come up but the wireless gets many errors (as reported
by ifconfig). Also sometimes the network goes down again.

Two days ago both networks were solid.

Another machine that I was in the process of bringing up (gentoo fully
installed from the handbook, but many utilities not yet done) also fails
under wicd today (worked fine two days ago). For this machine
killall dhcp; dhcp
reports that "no interfaces have a carrier"
The machine is 10 feet from the router/wap (linksys) and again
all was well 2 days ago.

Help would be very much appreciated.

thanks,
allan

PS I couldn't connect yesterday and today, the new gnome (3.2) hit
testing. Since I don't want to bite that big, potentially disruptive
update with this network problem (the overlay version failed for me), I
have not done an update world for 2 or 3 days.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
>
> The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
> for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
>
> Neither of these have helped me. *Wicd cannot start either the
> wired or wireless interface.
>
> When I type
> killall dhcpd; dhcpd
>
> Both networks come up but the wireless gets many errors (as reported
> by ifconfig). *Also sometimes the network goes down again.
>
> Two days ago both networks were solid.
>
> Another machine that I was in the process of bringing up (gentoo fully
> installed from the handbook, but many utilities not yet done) also fails
> under wicd today (worked fine two days ago). *For this machine
> killall dhcp; dhcp
> reports that "no interfaces have a carrier"
> The machine is 10 feet from the router/wap (linksys) and again
> all was well 2 days ago.
>
> Help would be very much appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> allan
>
> PS I couldn't connect yesterday and today, the new gnome (3.2) hit
> testing. *Since I don't want to bite that big, potentially disruptive
> update with this network problem (the overlay version failed for me), I
> have not done an update world for 2 or 3 days.

Not to be too glib but isn't this sort of problem exactly what the
whole stable vs ~amd64 decision is really all about?

Anyway, my machines are stable with a few ~amd64 entries in
package.keywords. I don't keyword either of these packages and I have
wicd-1.7.1_beta2-r4 & net-tools-1.60_p20110409135728 on my laptop.
Both wireless & wired come up fine here.

I have dhcpd on the machine but I don't run it.

Not exactly sure how any of that will help you but I'm fully up to
date as of today and everything seems to be working fine.

- Mark

Old 11-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Fri, Nov 25 2011, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
>>
>> The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
>> for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
>>
>> Neither of these have helped me. *Wicd cannot start either the
>> wired or wireless interface.
>>
>> When I type
>> killall dhcpd; dhcpd
>>
>> Both networks come up but the wireless gets many errors (as reported
>> by ifconfig). *Also sometimes the network goes down again.
>>
>> Two days ago both networks were solid.
>>
>> Another machine that I was in the process of bringing up (gentoo fully
>> installed from the handbook, but many utilities not yet done) also fails
>> under wicd today (worked fine two days ago). *For this machine
>> killall dhcp; dhcp
>> reports that "no interfaces have a carrier"
>> The machine is 10 feet from the router/wap (linksys) and again
>> all was well 2 days ago.
>>
>> Help would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> thanks,
>> allan
>>
>> PS I couldn't connect yesterday and today, the new gnome (3.2) hit
>> testing. *Since I don't want to bite that big, potentially disruptive
>> update with this network problem (the overlay version failed for me), I
>> have not done an update world for 2 or 3 days.
>>

> Not to be too glib but isn't this sort of problem exactly what the
> whole stable vs ~amd64 decision is really all about?
>
> Anyway, my machines are stable with a few ~amd64 entries in
> package.keywords. I don't keyword either of these packages and I have
> wicd-1.7.1_beta2-r4 & net-tools-1.60_p20110409135728 on my laptop.
> Both wireless & wired come up fine here.
>
> I have dhcpd on the machine but I don't run it.
>
> Not exactly sure how any of that will help you but I'm fully up to
> date as of today and everything seems to be working fine.
>
> - Mark

Right. I am running testing. But so are many on this list and I
believe many of those use wicd. I was hoping someone would have solved
this same problem.

allan

Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
>
> The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
> for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
>
> Neither of these have helped me. *Wicd cannot start either the
> wired or wireless interface.

I have no solution, but just a "me too" that wicd-based networking
stopped working entirely after I emerged some updates a couple days
ago. My short-term "solution" was just stop wicd and use the old-style
net init script instead since I haven't had time to research any this
weekend yet.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Dan Johansson

On Sunday 27 November 2011 02.02:54 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> > In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
> >
> > The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
> > for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
> >
> > Neither of these have helped me. Wicd cannot start either the
> > wired or wireless interface.
>
> I have no solution, but just a "me too" that wicd-based networking
> stopped working entirely after I emerged some updates a couple days
> ago. My short-term "solution" was just stop wicd and use the old-style
> net init script instead since I haven't had time to research any this
> weekend yet.

I had the same issue after upgrading net-tools, wicd stoped working.
While googling for a solution I found a workaround: Use the "ioctl" backend
instead of the "external" backend.
For me this workaround works.

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Sun, Nov 27 2011, Dan Johansson wrote:

> On Sunday 27 November 2011 02.02:54 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> > In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
>> >
>> > The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
>> > for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
>> >
>> > Neither of these have helped me. Wicd cannot start either the
>> > wired or wireless interface.
>>
>> I have no solution, but just a "me too" that wicd-based networking
>> stopped working entirely after I emerged some updates a couple days
>> ago. My short-term "solution" was just stop wicd and use the old-style
>> net init script instead since I haven't had time to research any this
>> weekend yet.
>
> I had the same issue after upgrading net-tools, wicd stoped working.
> While googling for a solution I found a workaround: Use the "ioctl" backend
> instead of the "external" backend.
> For me this workaround works.

Thanks for the comments. I did the changes suggested in the bug report
(downgrade net-tools or specify USE=old-output). This changed the
behavior, but it was far from perfect.

The next morning, however, after no hardware/software changes but after
our thanksgiving guests (plus their laptops, phones, and ipads) left,
wicd is working pretty well on both affected machines. I was nowhere near
the 50 dhcp connection limit, but perhaps the extra radio transmissions
were hurting. Anyway now one machine has the downgraded net-tools, the
other USE=old-output and both seem to work.

This was definitely not fun. Now for a really scary thought. I just
let portage put gnome 3 on my "extra" laptop. That machine has a fresh
fairly minimalistic desktop/gnome install. Light testing shows gnome-3
works as advertised. Do I dare put it on my real laptop? I am tempted
to wait until intersession so as not to hinder preparing for my
lectures; but I worry about letting a system go 1 month without updates.

allan

Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:27:59 +0100, Dan Johansson wrote:

> I had the same issue after upgrading net-tools, wicd stoped working.
> While googling for a solution I found a workaround: Use the "ioctl"
> backend instead of the "external" backend.
> For me this workaround works.

That explains why I was unaffected by this, I already used the ioctl,
since it claims to be faster and we Gentoo users are all ricers... aren't
we? ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 28, 2011 6:18 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:27:59 +0100, Dan Johansson wrote:

> > I had the same issue after upgrading net-tools, wicd stoped working.

> > While googling for a solution I found a workaround: Use the "ioctl"

> > backend instead of the "external" backend.

> > For me this workaround works.

> That explains why I was unaffected by this, I already used the ioctl,

> since it claims to be faster and we Gentoo users are all ricers... aren't

> we? ;-)

<gentoo inside joke>

Aha!

Neil, now that you've gone out of the closet and admit you're a ricer, I'm going to mark all your bug reports as WONTFIX.

.

.

.

Naaah, just kidding. The devs/maintainers will do that for me :-P

</gentoo inside joke>

Rgds,