Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Pandu Poluan

Default Partitioning strategy...?

I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
highly-partitioned, like this:

/
/boot
/usr
/tmp
/usr/portage ==> via NFS
/var
/var/lib/postgresql
/var/tmp
/var/log
/var/spool

(Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
/dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)

I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and there
are as many number as search-hits.

So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?

(And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248
*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 11-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 20:53, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
> highly-partitioned, like this:
>
> /
> /boot
> /usr
> /tmp
> /usr/portage ==> via NFS
> /var
> /var/lib/postgresql
> /var/tmp
> /var/log
> /var/spool
>
> (Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
> /dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)
>
> I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and there
> are as many number as search-hits.
>
> So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
>
> (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)

I also wonder if /var/tmp can be shared between boxen (via NFS),
assuming I ensure that no two boxen perform emerge at the same time...

Rgds,

Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
> highly-partitioned, like this:
>
> /
> /boot
> /usr
> /tmp
> /usr/portage ==> via NFS
> /var
> /var/lib/postgresql
> /var/tmp
> /var/log
> /var/spool
>
> (Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
> /dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)
>
> I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and there
> are as many number as search-hits.
>
> So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
>
> (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)
>
> Rgds,
> --
> FdS Pandu E Poluan
> ~ IT Optimizer ~
>
> *• LOPSA Member #15248
> *• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
> *• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

I don't use LVM but I suspect that on this list that would be the #1
recommendation to take care of the numbers question.

- Mark

Old 11-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Pandu Poluan

----- >8 snip

> I don't use LVM but I suspect that on this list that would be the #1
> recommendation to take care of the numbers question.

Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ...

Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty complex.

So, I want to start from something simple.

Aaaanyways, after reviewing my production boxes, I decided to
implement the following strategy:

/ == 800 MiB
/boot == 20 MiB
/usr == 1800 MiB