Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Default Error message for several ebuilds when updating world.

I just ran a sync and update on my laptop. The builds for...

gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.21
x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.24.0-r1
gnome-base/librsvg-2.34.1-r1
www-client/firefox-7.0.1-r1
app-text/ghostscript-gpl-9.04-r4
app-office/abiword-2.8.6-r1

...all came up with the same warning in /var/log/portage/elog

WARN: prepare
We've already been run in this tree; you should
avoid this if possible (perhaps by filing a bug)

Any ideas what this is all about?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Dale

waltdnes@waltdnes.org wrote:

I just ran a sync and update on my laptop. The builds for...

gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.21
x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.24.0-r1
gnome-base/librsvg-2.34.1-r1
www-client/firefox-7.0.1-r1
app-text/ghostscript-gpl-9.04-r4
app-office/abiword-2.8.6-r1

...all came up with the same warning in /var/log/portage/elog

WARN: prepare
We've already been run in this tree; you should
avoid this if possible (perhaps by filing a bug)

Any ideas what this is all about?

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6878530.html?sid=924b3c65e5584c4dc81672583d97b85d# 6878530

You need more ram, swap space or maybe drive space for the portage work
directory. Basically, it's running out of space somewhere. Look at
"top" maybe and see what it says then "df" to see if a partition is full
or really close to it. Keep in mind, usage may drop after it fails and
does a little cleaning up.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-25-2011, 06:45 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 01:31:45AM -0600, Dale wrote

> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6878530.html?sid=924b3c65e5584c4dc81672583d97b85d# 6878530
>
> You need more ram, swap space or maybe drive space for the portage work
> directory. Basically, it's running out of space somewhere.

Thanks for the pointer. I think I've figured it it out now. When I
set up my laptop, I copied most of /etc/make.conf verbatim from my
desktop, including the line...
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"

That works just fine on my desktop with 8 gigs of ram. Unfortunately,
my laptop only has 4 gigs, so that doesn't work quite so well. I've
changed that line to...
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/tmp"

Builds will be slower, no doubt.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Dale

Walter Dnes wrote:

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 01:31:45AM -0600, Dale wrote

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6878530.html?sid=924b3c65e5584c4dc81672583d97b85d# 6878530

You need more ram, swap space or maybe drive space for the portage work
directory. Basically, it's running out of space somewhere.

Thanks for the pointer. I think I've figured it it out now. When I
set up my laptop, I copied most of /etc/make.conf verbatim from my
desktop, including the line...
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"

That works just fine on my desktop with 8 gigs of ram. Unfortunately,
my laptop only has 4 gigs, so that doesn't work quite so well. I've
changed that line to...
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/tmp"

Builds will be slower, no doubt.

I put the portage work directory on tmpfs in ram and I can't tell much
difference. When I tested it, having portage's work directory on tmpfs
was actually a bit slower, just by a few seconds tho. So, having it on
a drive doesn't seem to matter much. I guess drives are pretty fast
nowadays.

The funny thing, I have to leave mine on tmpfs because when I update
LOo, I don't have enough space on /var. I have enough ram tho. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-25-2011, 08:58 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 02:27:04PM -0600, Dale wrote

> The funny thing, I have to leave mine on tmpfs because when I update
> LOo, I don't have enough space on /var. I have enough ram tho. lol

I know I have enough diskspace. See my reply to Pandu in the
"Partitioning strategy...?" thread.

* 250 megabyte / partition (ext2fs)
* 4 gigs of swap
* the rest of the drive is one large reiserfs partition

The power of LVM, without the pain.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:58:56 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

> * the rest of the drive is one large reiserfs partition
>
> The power of LVM, without the pain.

Hardly. For instance, a runaway program filling logfiles will
fill up everything, you can't isolate, for example, personal and system
data.

I don't see how you have use your method with multiple drives without
serious kludging.

LVM is about a lot more than keeping everything on one partition.

--
Neil Bothwick

Monday is the root of all evil!