Old 11-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Paul Hartman

Default glibc-2.14.1 upgrade

Hi,

After emerging glibc-2.14.1 today, pam stopped working, which
prevented KDE from working and some other things. I got this kind of
message:

/lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
/lib64/libcrypt.so.1)

There were no @preserved-rebuild and revdep-rebuild found nothing. I
rebuilt pam and things seem to be working again. Are there any other
packages I should rebuild before encountering a problem? Or some way
to detect which need to be rebuilt? Should I re-emerge world against
my new glibc?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 11-24-2011, 06:34 AM
justin

On 24/11/11 06:27, Paul Hartman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After emerging glibc-2.14.1 today, pam stopped working, which
> prevented KDE from working and some other things. I got this kind of
> message:
>
> /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
> /lib64/libcrypt.so.1)
>
> There were no @preserved-rebuild and revdep-rebuild found nothing. I
> rebuilt pam and things seem to be working again. Are there any other
> packages I should rebuild before encountering a problem? Or some way
> to detect which need to be rebuilt? Should I re-emerge world against
> my new glibc?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Hi Paul,

after an glibc upgrade it is time to do an

emerge -e system world

This is what binary distros actually do when they have major bumps in
their releases.

Justin

Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
微菜

于 2011年11月24日 15:34, justin 写道:
> On 24/11/11 06:27, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After emerging glibc-2.14.1 today, pam stopped working, which
>> prevented KDE from working and some other things. I got this kind of
>> message:
>>
>> /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
>> /lib64/libcrypt.so.1)
>>
>> There were no @preserved-rebuild and revdep-rebuild found nothing. I
>> rebuilt pam and things seem to be working again. Are there any other
>> packages I should rebuild before encountering a problem? Or some way
>> to detect which need to be rebuilt? Should I re-emerge world against
>> my new glibc?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> after an glibc upgrade it is time to do an
>
> emerge -e system world

you must be kidding me . it will take days to complete.

--
我是天马博士,对,就是创*了阿童 的那个天马博士

Old 11-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 26, 2011 12:05 AM, "微菜" <microcai@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 于 2011年11月24日 15:34, justin 写道:

> > On 24/11/11 06:27, Paul Hartman wrote:

> >> Hi,

> >> After emerging glibc-2.14.1 today, pam stopped working, which

> >> prevented KDE from working and some other things. I got this kind of

> >> message:

> >> /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by

> >> /lib64/libcrypt.so.1)

> >> There were no @preserved-rebuild and revdep-rebuild found nothing. I

> >> rebuilt pam and things seem to be working again. Are there any other

> >> packages I should rebuild before encountering a problem? Or some way

> >> to detect which need to be rebuilt? Should I re-emerge world against

> >> my new glibc?

> >> Thanks,

> >> Paul

> > Hi Paul,

> > after an glibc upgrade it is time to do an

> > emerge -e system world

> you must be kidding me . it will take days to complete.

On my virtualized servers, emerge -e @system @world, a total of 170-something packages, takes only about 6-7 hours. Remember, these are VMs, which means the 2 vCPUs I assigned them are actually shared with other VMs.

On a non-virtualized system, should be faster. Of course, if you have sizable packages, it might take around 24 hours to complete.

Rgds,

Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 25.11.2011 19:11, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> On Nov 26, 2011 12:05 AM, "微菜" <microcai@fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:microcai@fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>>
>> 于 2011年11月24日 15:34, justin 写道:

>> > Hi Paul,
>> >
>> > after an glibc upgrade it is time to do an
>> >
>> > emerge -e system world
>>
>> you must be kidding me . it will take days to complete.
>>

> On my virtualized servers, emerge -e @system @world, a total of
> 170-something packages, takes only about 6-7 hours. Remember, these are
> VMs, which means the 2 vCPUs I assigned them are actually shared with
> other VMs.
>
> On a non-virtualized system, should be faster. Of course, if you have
> sizable packages, it might take around 24 hours to complete.
>
> Rgds,

I've used Gentoo since 2006 and never had any reason to emerge -e. I can
also cite posts on this mailing list going back as far as 2007 (just my
local archive, mind you) that say it is unnecessary for glibc updates.
Or, to cite Volker Armin Hemmann's eloquent reply from 08-11-2007: "no" ;-)

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:59:51 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:

> I've used Gentoo since 2006 and never had any reason to emerge -e.

Apart from the occasional gcc ABI change, the only time I do it is after
a fresh install, so that everything is built with the installed toolchain.

--
Neil Bothwick

In possession of a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 22:30 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:59:51 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
>
> > I've used Gentoo since 2006 and never had any reason to emerge -e.
>
> Apart from the occasional gcc ABI change, the only time I do it is after
> a fresh install, so that everything is built with the installed toolchain.

I do it about once per month, just to make sure everthing works as
should, and, if not, usually I'll submit a bug report if necessary.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Michael Mol

106 minutes, 177 packsges on a fresh install (on a dual E5345 I just got my hands on). God help you if you if you have KDE installed, though. Even without it, my core desktop has somewhere between 500-700 packages. Builds overnight on my Phenom 9650.

ZZ

Old 11-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

2011/11/25 Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>

Am 25.11.2011 19:11, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> On Nov 26, 2011 12:05 AM, "微菜" <microcai@fedoraproject.org

> <mailto:microcai@fedoraproject.org>> wrote:

>> 于 2011年11月24日 15:34, justin 写道:

>> > Hi Paul,

>> > after an glibc upgrade it is time to do an

>> > emerge -e system world

>> you must be kidding me . it will take days to complete.

> On my virtualized servers, emerge -e @system @world, a total of

> 170-something packages, takes only about 6-7 hours. Remember, these are

> VMs, which means the 2 vCPUs I assigned them are actually shared with

> other VMs.

> On a non-virtualized system, should be faster. Of course, if you have

> sizable packages, it might take around 24 hours to complete.

> Rgds,

I've used Gentoo since 2006 and never had any reason to emerge -e. I can

also cite posts on this mailing list going back as far as 2007 (just my

local archive, mind you) that say it is unnecessary for glibc updates.

Or, to cite Volker Armin Hemmann's eloquent reply from 08-11-2007: "no" ;-)

Regards,

Florian Philipp

sys-libs/glibc* * *Available versions: *(2.2) (~)2.9_p20081201-r3!s 2.10.1-r1!s 2.11.3!s (~)2.12.1-r3!s 2.12.2!s (~)2.13-r2!s (~)2.13-r4!s (~)2.14!s (~)2.14.1!s{tbz2} **9999!s * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **
* * * * {crosscompile_opts_headers-only debug gd glibc-omitfp hardened multilib nls profile selinux vanilla}* * *Installed versions: *2.14.1(2.2)!s{tbz2}(18:07:50 23.11.2011)(gd glibc-omitfp multilib nls -crosscompile_opts_headers-only -debug -hardened -profile -selinux -vanilla) * * * * *

no -e world
login working fine. Posting from KDE 4.7.80
so, I stay with the 'no' from back than.*
you don't need to do an -e world on glibc or header updates.

You CAN do it, to make use of some new and awesome feature you might hope to be there. But for almost all people it is just a waste of time and energy.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 25.11.2011 19:11, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>>
>> On Nov 26, 2011 12:05 AM, "微菜" <microcai@fedoraproject.org
>> <mailto:microcai@fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 于 2011年11月24日 15:34, justin 写道:

>>> you must be kidding me . it will take days to complete.
>>>

>> On my virtualized servers, emerge -e @system @world, a total of
>> 170-something packages, takes only about 6-7 hours. Remember, these are
>> VMs, which means the 2 vCPUs I assigned them are actually shared with
>> other VMs.
>>
>> On a non-virtualized system, should be faster. Of course, if you have
>> sizable packages, it might take around 24 hours to complete.
>>
>> Rgds,
>>

> I've used Gentoo since 2006 and never had any reason to emerge -e. I can
> also cite posts on this mailing list going back as far as 2007 (just my
> local archive, mind you) that say it is unnecessary for glibc updates.
> Or, to cite Volker Armin Hemmann's eloquent reply from 08-11-2007: "no" ;-)

Can I detect which packages need to be rebuilt (revdep-rebuild finds
nothing), other than waiting for something to fail? Or do you think
the messages are a false alarm, symptoms of already-loaded programs
and will go away after my next reboot?