FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like a
nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it works
for you?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 11-24-2011, 03:19 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 19:26 -0500, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
> to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like
> a
> nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
> while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it
> works
> for you?

I use good ole' rsync, together with a couple of scripts. It does the
hard link-style incrementals and I can do a near-bare-metal restore.
From that. rsync is still maintained afaik.
 
Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Grant Edwards
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

On 2011-11-24, covici@ccs.covici.com <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
> to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like a
> nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
> while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it works
> for you?

I set up rsnapshot a few months ago, and so far it seems to be working
fine. I found the documentation about how to configure the intervals
and schedule the jobs to be a bit confusing, but once the light bulb
went on, it's pretty easy.

--
Grant
 
Old 11-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Grant Edwards
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

On 2011-11-24, Albert W. Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 19:26 -0500, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>> I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
>> to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like
>> a
>> nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
>> while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it
>> works
>> for you?
>
> I use good ole' rsync, together with a couple of scripts.

You've pretty much just described rsnapshot.

> It does the hard link-style incrementals and I can do a
> near-bare-metal restore. From that. rsync is still maintained afaik.

rsnapshot is a Perls script that uses rsync to do hard-link
incremental backups.

--
Grant
 
Old 11-24-2011, 06:08 AM
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-11-24, covici@ccs.covici.com <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
> > to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like a
> > nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
> > while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it works
> > for you?
>
> I set up rsnapshot a few months ago, and so far it seems to be working
> fine. I found the documentation about how to configure the intervals
> and schedule the jobs to be a bit confusing, but once the light bulb
> went on, it's pretty easy.


Thanks, this is what I was wondering about.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

covici@ccs.covici.com writes:

> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-11-24, covici@ccs.covici.com <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
>> > to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like a
>> > nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
>> > while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it works
>> > for you?
>>
>> I set up rsnapshot a few months ago, and so far it seems to be working
>> fine. I found the documentation about how to configure the intervals
>> and schedule the jobs to be a bit confusing, but once the light bulb
>> went on, it's pretty easy.
>
>
> Thanks, this is what I was wondering about.

I'll chime in a bit here too. I've used rsnapshot for actual yrs,
maybe 3-4. I've needed the occasional buggered up file from the
backups and few whole directories over the years.

It does not claim any baremetal restore capability... unless its been
added. I know there is quite a lot of new functionality that I have
not had occasion to delve into.

It does not afford a handy slick way of retrieving a backed up file.
I mean it is left to your own devices... but since the increments are
dated and in hourly, daily, weekly, monthly [...] groupings, its not
so hard to find what you need... I'm just saying it is a manual
process unless you script something.

I probably should investigate new features... since the above may be
outdated information.

One thing you can be sure of... its highly reliable since it is based
on a very robust and well tested rsync and a very robust perl. Also,
you will be amazed at how many backups you can have and take so very
little space.

Of course that last will depend to a good degree how much actual
change occurs in your data being backed up.

Further, it lends itself to network activity very well.

All in all a quite simple to use, highly reliable, network capable,
very versatile system.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> covici@ccs.covici.com writes:
>
> > Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2011-11-24, covici@ccs.covici.com <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> > I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
> >> > to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like a
> >> > nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
> >> > while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it works
> >> > for you?
> >>
> >> I set up rsnapshot a few months ago, and so far it seems to be working
> >> fine. I found the documentation about how to configure the intervals
> >> and schedule the jobs to be a bit confusing, but once the light bulb
> >> went on, it's pretty easy.
> >
> >
> > Thanks, this is what I was wondering about.
>
> I'll chime in a bit here too. I've used rsnapshot for actual yrs,
> maybe 3-4. I've needed the occasional buggered up file from the
> backups and few whole directories over the years.
>
> It does not claim any baremetal restore capability... unless its been
> added. I know there is quite a lot of new functionality that I have
> not had occasion to delve into.
>
> It does not afford a handy slick way of retrieving a backed up file.
> I mean it is left to your own devices... but since the increments are
> dated and in hourly, daily, weekly, monthly [...] groupings, its not
> so hard to find what you need... I'm just saying it is a manual
> process unless you script something.
>
> I probably should investigate new features... since the above may be
> outdated information.
>
> One thing you can be sure of... its highly reliable since it is based
> on a very robust and well tested rsync and a very robust perl. Also,
> you will be amazed at how many backups you can have and take so very
> little space.
>
> Of course that last will depend to a good degree how much actual
> change occurs in your data being backed up.
>
> Further, it lends itself to network activity very well.
>
> All in all a quite simple to use, highly reliable, network capable,
> very versatile system.
>

I noticed that there was no real restore, but as you say you can usually
find what you are looking for. I will probably try on an experimental
basis.

Thanks for all your responses.

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com
 
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

On 2011-11-25, covici@ccs.covici.com <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> I noticed that there was no real restore,

Um, it's a regular file sysmte, so you use "cp -a" to restore.

> but as you say you can usually find what you are looking for. I will
> probably try on an experimental basis.

--
Grant
 
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Jörg Schaible
 
Default experience with rsnapshot

covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:

> I am using rdiff-backup which is no longer maintained, but still seems
> to work, but I was thinking to use rsnapshot instead which seems like a
> nice way to do this, but this seems not to have been maintained for a
> while, either, so I was wondering if anyone is using it and how it works
> for you?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I am using dirvish for several years.

- Jörg
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org