Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Before locking out myself...

Hi,

Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...

Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.

I am using the nvidia-drivers...

Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
new one or do I badly forget anything ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 23.11.2011 18:21, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...
>
> Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
> which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.
>
> I am using the nvidia-drivers...
>
> Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
> new one or do I badly forget anything ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help!
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Yes, should be sufficient.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> [11-11-23 18:48]:
> Am 23.11.2011 18:21, schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...
> >
> > Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
> > which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.
> >
> > I am using the nvidia-drivers...
> >
> > Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
> > new one or do I badly forget anything ?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for your help!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >

> Yes, should be sufficient.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

Thanks a lot...!

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...
>
> Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
> which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.
>
> I am using the nvidia-drivers...
>
> Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
> new one or do I badly forget anything ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help!
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

I'm assuming the MSI 560 is a new Nvidia based VGA, correct?

It's almost certainly OK to just switch cards. However if you want to
be safe then check the Nvidia site for the right nvidia package to
handle 560-based cards and make sure you have it emerged before you
switch.

HTH,
Mark

Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [11-11-23 19:00]:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...
> >
> > Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
> > which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.
> >
> > I am using the nvidia-drivers...
> >
> > Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
> > new one or do I badly forget anything ?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance for your help!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
>
> I'm assuming the MSI 560 is a new Nvidia based VGA, correct?
>
> It's almost certainly OK to just switch cards. However if you want to
> be safe then check the Nvidia site for the right nvidia package to
> handle 560-based cards and make sure you have it emerged before you
> switch.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

I checked the docs of the nvidia drivers on the systems which
mentioned the nvidia 560 ti but msi isnt mentioned. Since drivers
access the GPU and not the cooling system (and my old card was also
made by msi and worked ok) I think this part should be ok.
But since I cannot remember other side effects, which I dont know,
I thought its better to ask other gurus...

What do you think ?

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [11-11-23 19:00]:
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM, *<meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Before I lock out myself from my Linux system...
>> >
>> > Current state: VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
>> > which I want to exchange with a MSI 560 Ti made also by msi.
>> >
>> > I am using the nvidia-drivers...
>> >
>> > Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
>> > new one or do I badly forget anything ?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much in advance for your help!
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > mcc
>>
>> I'm assuming the MSI 560 is a new Nvidia based VGA, correct?
>>
>> It's almost certainly OK to just switch cards. However if you want to
>> be safe then check the Nvidia site for the right nvidia package to
>> handle 560-based cards and make sure you have it emerged before you
>> switch.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark
>>

> I checked the docs of the nvidia drivers on the systems which
> mentioned the nvidia 560 ti but msi isnt mentioned. Since drivers
> access the GPU and not the cooling system (and my old card was also
> made by msi and worked ok) I think this part should be ok.
> But since I cannot remember other side effects, which I dont know,
> I thought its better to ask other gurus...
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

According to the nvidia site it seems you want the
nvidia-drivers-290.1 package, but I'm not seeing that specific version
in portage right now. Most likely it's coming soon, and I would guess
the 290.06 version that I'm running here for a 465GTX card will work
fine for you. 290.1 was only released 2 days ago.

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/39816

mark@c2stable ~ $ eix -I nvidia-drivers
[i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
Available versions: 96.43.19!s 96.43.20!s 173.14.30!s
173.14.31!s 270.41.19!s 275.09.07!s [M](~)275.28!s (~)285.05.09!s
285.05.09-r1!s (~)290.06!s (~)290.06!s[1] {acpi custom-cflags gtk
kernel_linux multilib}
Installed versions: 290.06!s[1](05:33:02 AM 11/15/2011)(acpi gtk
kernel_linux multilib -custom-cflags)
Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com/

[1] "init6" /var/lib/layman/init6
mark@c2stable ~ $

If it's 560 ti based card I doubt MSI did much to change the Nvidia
reference design if it risked not using the standard nvidia driver.

HTH,
Mark

Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Alex Schuster

meino.cramer@gmx.de asks:

> Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
> new one or do I badly forget anything ?

Just be sure to shut the machine down before doing that. You might lock
yourself out for quite a while if not.

Wonko

Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [11-11-23 20:08]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de asks:
>
> > Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
> > new one or do I badly forget anything ?
>
> Just be sure to shut the machine down before doing that. You might lock
> yourself out for quite a while if not.
>
> Wonko

Hi *

This mail is written while looking at it via a display driven by a msi
560 ti ! TADA!

Thanks a lot to you all for the quick a helpful postings!

Currently I am using the 290.06 driver which works "fine enough" for
the first and I am curious what 290.2 will bring, when it appears
in the great world of gentoo )

On question remains:
When rendering via Blenders shiny new Cycles GPU renderer,
nvidia-settings shows a performance of 51% and nothing more.
I switche to "Maximum performance preffered" but this does
not really anything worth mentioning...

Do I understand "51%" wrong here or...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [11-11-23 20:08]:
>> meino.cramer@gmx.de asks:
>>
>> > Is it right, that is simple to pull out the old card and insert the
>> > new one or do I badly forget anything ?
>>
>> Just be sure to shut the machine down before doing that. You might lock
>> yourself out for quite a while if not.
>>
>> * * * Wonko
>>

> Hi *
>
> This mail is written while looking at it via a display driven by a msi
> 560 ti ! TADA!
>
> Thanks a lot to you all for the quick a helpful postings!
>
> Currently I am using *the 290.06 driver which works "fine enough" for
> the first and I am curious what 290.2 will bring, when it appears
> in the great world of gentoo )
>
> On question remains:
> When rendering via Blenders shiny new Cycles GPU renderer,
> nvidia-settings shows a performance of 51% and nothing more.
> I switche to "Maximum performance preffered" but this does
> not really anything worth mentioning...
>
> Do I understand "51%" wrong here or...
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

Congrats on getting it running. Now let's hope for stability! ;-)

As for Blender I don't really know as I don't use it. However possibly
nvidia-settings can give you a clue. My 465 has 2 GPUs. If you have 2
GPUs but only one is being used then ... 51%, etc.

I can watch the GPU clock rates along with thermal stuff from the
nvidia-settings gui. Maybe that will show you more about what Blender
is doing. There is also nvidia-smi from the command line that gives
info also.

HTH,
Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [11-11-24 04:02]:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [11-11-23 20:08]:
> >> meino.cramer@gmx.de asks:

> >> Just be sure to shut the machine down before doing that. You might lock
> >> yourself out for quite a while if not.
> >>
> >> * * * Wonko
> >>

> > Hi *
> >
> > This mail is written while looking at it via a display driven by a msi
> > 560 ti ! TADA!
> >
> > Thanks a lot to you all for the quick a helpful postings!
> >
> > Currently I am using *the 290.06 driver which works "fine enough" for
> > the first and I am curious what 290.2 will bring, when it appears
> > in the great world of gentoo )
> >
> > On question remains:
> > When rendering via Blenders shiny new Cycles GPU renderer,
> > nvidia-settings shows a performance of 51% and nothing more.
> > I switche to "Maximum performance preffered" but this does
> > not really anything worth mentioning...
> >
> > Do I understand "51%" wrong here or...
> >
> > Best regards,
> > mcc
> >

> Congrats on getting it running. Now let's hope for stability! ;-)
>
> As for Blender I don't really know as I don't use it. However possibly
> nvidia-settings can give you a clue. My 465 has 2 GPUs. If you have 2
> GPUs but only one is being used then ... 51%, etc.
>
> I can watch the GPU clock rates along with thermal stuff from the
> nvidia-settings gui. Maybe that will show you more about what Blender
> is doing. There is also nvidia-smi from the command line that gives
> info also.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

while rendering nvidia-smi is showing this:

Thu Nov 24 04:49:59 2011
| NVIDIA-SMI 2.290.06 Driver Version: 290.06 |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| Nb. Name | Bus Id Disp. | Volatile ECC SB / DB |
| Fan Temp Power Usage /Cap | Memory Usage | GPU Util. Compute M. |
|===============================+================= =====+======================|
| 0. GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 0000:08:00.0 N/A | N/A N/A |
| 51% 55 C N/A N/A / N/A | 23% 465MB / 2047MB | N/A Default |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------|
| Compute processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Process name Usage |
|================================================= ============================|
| 0. ERROR: Not Supported |

nvidia-settings is reporting one GPU....as far as I know, this card
has one GPU...
Or is "performance" for the NVidia-guys the same as "load" for the
Linux-community?

NVidia-settings show the highest possible values for clock speed, RAM
speed etc. though.

The performance percentage also does not depend on the complexity of
the scene I render...

It remains.....hrrrmmm....interesting

Best regards
mcc