Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default sys-boot/grub USE="static"

I'm just wondering, what are the benefits & drawbacks of turning on
"static" USE flag for sys-boot/grub?

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248
*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> I'm just wondering, what are the benefits & drawbacks of turning on
> "static" USE flag for sys-boot/grub?

I seem to remember it has something to do with whether you're using
32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Pandu Poluan<pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

I'm just wondering, what are the benefits& drawbacks of turning on
"static" USE flag for sys-boot/grub?

I seem to remember it has something to do with whether you're using
32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.

I sort of recall someone telling me to use grub-static when I did my
install on my new amd64 rig. I have the regular version on my x86 rig.
I think you are correct Paul.

I also checked the website, I couldn't find anything on the static
reasoning either. Since legacy grub is sort of dying anyway, I'm not
surprised.

In closing, use plain grub for x86 and grub-static for 64 bit. I know
that works.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> I'm just wondering, what are the benefits & drawbacks of turning on
>> "static" USE flag for sys-boot/grub?
>
> I seem to remember it has something to do with whether you're using
> 32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.

Fundamentally doesn't it build in any libraries, etc.? I don't know really.

I actually use the grub-static package on my systems vs grub and
messing with USE flags. I think it was Duncan on the amd64 list that
recommended that years ago but I haven't a clue as to what the reason
was.

- Mark

Old 11-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fundamentally doesn't it build in any libraries, etc.? I don't know really.

I think, generally speaking, the "static" USE flag is mostly useful
for people who build initramfs and don't want dynamically linked
libraries involved.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 23.11.2011 20:48, schrieb Mark Knecht:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>>> I'm just wondering, what are the benefits & drawbacks of turning on
>>> "static" USE flag for sys-boot/grub?
>>
>> I seem to remember it has something to do with whether you're using
>> 32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.
>
> Fundamentally doesn't it build in any libraries, etc.? I don't know really.
>
> I actually use the grub-static package on my systems vs grub and
> messing with USE flags. I think it was Duncan on the amd64 list that
> recommended that years ago but I haven't a clue as to what the reason
> was.
>
> - Mark

You are referring to this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org/msg12619.html

Also be sure not to confuse sys-boot/grub with USE="static" and
sys-boot/grub-static. grub-static is required for AMD64 with a
no-multilib profile (because grub is always 32bit and you cannot build
grub on such a system). If you have a multilib profile, you can use
sys-boot/grub with USE="-static" just like me:

ldd /sbin/grub
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libncurses.so.5 => /lib32/libncurses.so.5 (0xf76bf000)
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7535000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7531000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7733000)

As with all USE="static" flags, there is no real need for a normal
system unless it helps to avoid a /usr/lib dependency for a /bin or
/sbin binary which is not the case here. It also doesn't affect the boot
loader, only its installer.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 11-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Mark Knecht

Thank. That is the thread I was remembering.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 24, 2011 5:13 AM, "Florian Philipp" <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

> Am 23.11.2011 20:48, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> > On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Paul Hartman

> > <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I seem to remember it has something to do with whether you're using

> >> 32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.

> > Fundamentally doesn't it build in any libraries, etc.? I don't know really.

> > I actually use the grub-static package on my systems vs grub and

> > messing with USE flags. I think it was Duncan on the amd64 list that

> > recommended that years ago but I haven't a clue as to what the reason

> > was.

> > - Mark

> You are referring to this:

> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org/msg12619.html

> Also be sure not to confuse sys-boot/grub with USE="static" and

> sys-boot/grub-static. grub-static is required for AMD64 with a

> no-multilib profile (because grub is always 32bit and you cannot build

> grub on such a system). If you have a multilib profile, you can use

> sys-boot/grub with USE="-static" just like me:

> ldd /sbin/grub

> * * * *linux-gate.so.1 => *(0xffffe000)

> * * * *libncurses.so.5 => /lib32/libncurses.so.5 (0xf76bf000)

> * * * *libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7535000)

> * * * *libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7531000)

> * * * */lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7733000)

> As with all USE="static" flags, there is no real need for a normal

> system unless it helps to avoid a /usr/lib dependency for a /bin or

> /sbin binary which is not the case here. It also doesn't affect the boot

> loader, only its installer.

Thanks, Florian!

How I wish there's a wiki-style guide explaining USE flags, subtle differences between packages with similar name, etc.

Hmm... I think I'm going to start such a wiki. Unless someone have started it first.

Let's see if I can coax my hosting to increase my hosting space without additional fees...

Rgds,

Old 11-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Dale

wrote:

& drawbacks of turning on

> >> I seem to remember it has something to do with
whether you're using

> >> 32bit vs 64bit, but I can't be certain.

> > Fundamentally doesn't it build in any libraries, etc.?
I don't know really.

> > I actually use the grub-static package on my systems
vs grub and

> > messing with USE flags. I think it was Duncan on the
amd64 list that

> > recommended that years ago but I haven't a clue as to
what the reason

> > was.

> > - Mark

> You are referring to this:

> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org/msg12619.html

> Also be sure not to confuse sys-boot/grub with USE="static"
and

> sys-boot/grub-static. grub-static is required for AMD64
with a

> no-multilib profile (because grub is always 32bit and you
cannot build

> grub on such a system). If you have a multilib profile, you
can use

> sys-boot/grub with USE="-static" just like me:

> ldd /sbin/grub

> * * * *linux-gate.so.1 => *(0xffffe000)

> * * * *libncurses.so.5 => /lib32/libncurses.so.5
(0xf76bf000)

> * * * *libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7535000)

> * * * *libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7531000)

> * * * */lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7733000)

> As with all USE="static" flags, there is no real need for a
normal

> system unless it helps to avoid a /usr/lib dependency for a
/bin or

> /sbin binary which is not the case here. It also doesn't
affect the boot

> loader, only its installer.

Thanks, Florian!

How I wish there's a wiki-style guide explaining USE flags,
subtle differences between packages with similar name, etc.

Hmm... I think I'm going to start such a wiki. Unless someone
have started it first.

Let's see if I can coax my hosting to increase my hosting space
without additional fees...

Rgds,

There are already two Gentoo wikis.* One official one and one
unofficial I guess you would call it.* Why not put the info on one
or both of these?

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 09:29, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pandu Poluan wrote:
>
> On Nov 24, 2011 5:13 AM, "Florian Philipp" <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
>>
>> Am 23.11.2011 20:48, schrieb Mark Knecht:

>> > Fundamentally doesn't it build in any libraries, etc.? I don't know
>> > really.
>> >
>> > I actually use the grub-static package on my systems vs grub and
>> > messing with USE flags. I think it was Duncan on the amd64 list that
>> > recommended that years ago but I haven't a clue as to what the reason
>> > was.
>> >
>> > - Mark
>> >

>> You are referring to this:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org/msg12619.html
>>
>> Also be sure not to confuse sys-boot/grub with USE="static" and
>> sys-boot/grub-static. grub-static is required for AMD64 with a
>> no-multilib profile (because grub is always 32bit and you cannot build
>> grub on such a system). If you have a multilib profile, you can use
>> sys-boot/grub with USE="-static" just like me:
>>
>> ldd /sbin/grub
>> * * * *linux-gate.so.1 => *(0xffffe000)
>> * * * *libncurses.so.5 => /lib32/libncurses.so.5 (0xf76bf000)
>> * * * *libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7535000)
>> * * * *libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7531000)
>> * * * */lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7733000)
>>
>> As with all USE="static" flags, there is no real need for a normal
>> system unless it helps to avoid a /usr/lib dependency for a /bin or
>> /sbin binary which is not the case here. It also doesn't affect the boot
>> loader, only its installer.
>>

> Thanks, Florian!
>
> How I wish there's a wiki-style guide explaining USE flags, subtle
> differences between packages with similar name, etc.

> Hmm... I think I'm going to start such a wiki. Unless someone have started
> it first.
>
> Let's see if I can coax my hosting to increase my hosting space without
> additional fees...
>
> Rgds,
>
> There are already two Gentoo wikis.* One official one and one unofficial I
> guess you would call it.* Why not put the info on one or both of these?

Uhh... I'm not sure if wiki.g.o or g-w.com will appreciate a sudden
addition of 15'308 articles auto-generated from 29'332 ebuilds... [1]

I plan to implement the wiki using DokuWiki, and auto-generate the
articles using some bash scripts. After the skeleton wiki goes up,
then edit *some* of the pages (i.e., the ones I have additional info
on, like this discussion of the difference between grub[static] and
grub-static).

[1] http://packages.gentoo.org/categories/

Rgds,