Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default A helping hand with virtual machines, please.

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:43:10 -0500
Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> > Hi, Gentoo.
> >
> > A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
> > virtual machines on my Gentoo.
> >
> > I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly
> > in directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
> >
> > Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
> > looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
>
> I've heard you should stay away from virtualbox, due to instability
> from their kernel modules.

I use virtualbox and it's the one I recommend.

The kernel modules are no better and no worse than any other
out-of-tree modules. Yes, they break sometimes. So does VMWare. So did
ath network cards long ago - that's how life works.

Here it runs on stable with zero issues about kernel versions for 6
months+, it's probably reasonable to assume that bleeding edge kernels
would of course not build occasionally. But does one really want to run
VMs on the latest bleeding edge kernel? I don't.

What I like about VBox is that you get all the useful bits in the
open-source version. With VMWare you get player for free but need
paying version to get more functionality.

It's been a long time since I payed with Xen so I can't really comment
on that product.

qemu-kvm would appeal to the hard-core geek, something that Alan Mac is
at least in part

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 19:20 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
> virtual machines on my Gentoo.
>
> I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
> directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
>
> Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
> looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.

They would be under app-emulation. The "virtual" category is for
virtual packages (e.g. virtual/editor).

You could research Google for Linux visualization. The big 3 open
source/semi-open-source are kvm, VirtualBox, and xen. I have personal
experience with xen and kvm... and pretty much only use kvm now.

The big closed source one is VMware, but, except for legacy
requirements, I personally don't know why people (still) use that when
the competing open source solutions are typically as good or better than
VMWare.

As for what USE flags, that would wildly depend on the visualization
package you choose (and a billion other ifs). As always, required
dependencies are required by the packages themselves, forced USE flags
are forced by the packages themselves, anything else is our own personal
choice.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM
kashani

A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
virtual machines on my Gentoo.

I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.

Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.

TVM

+1 for VirtualBox and more importantly being able to use Vagrant with it.

http://vagrantup.com/docs/getting-started/index.html

kashani