Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Nicola Degl'Innocenti

Default Linux & Motherboard

Hi!
I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows (that i
use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware compatibility with linux.

I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT, but i am very
confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor only have asus
motherboard so i don't have much choice.
- Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
- Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
- Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
- Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€

Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information about
linux compatibility for those cards?

The SLI capability is not important as having ethernet or sound supported on
linux.

Thank a lot.

Nicola

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Galevsky

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Nicola Degl'Innocenti
<neodarklight@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows (that i
> use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware compatibility with linux.
>
> I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT, but i am very
> confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor only have asus
> motherboard so i don't have much choice.
> - Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
> - Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
> - Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
> - Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€
>
> Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information about
> linux compatibility for those cards?

I am running a Core 2 Duo E6750 mounted on a P5K + PNY 8800 GTS 640Mo
with no problem. It just requires a 2.6.23 kernel with Jmicron
support.

Gal'
����z�b��z{h�����x%��

Old 03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Neil Walker

Nicola Degl'Innocenti wrote:

Hi!
I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows (that i
use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware compatibility with linux.

I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT, but i am very
confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor only have asus
motherboard so i don't have much choice.
- Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
- Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
- Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
- Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€

Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information about
linux compatibility for those cards?

I've never had a problem with Asus motherboards and Linux - in fact,
they are my preferred manufacturer. My last Asus board was an M3A for
an AMD Phenom CPU which is irrelevant to your case, unfortunately.
However, my last two build have been using Intel Q6600 CPUs (Core 2
quad) using J&W motherboards with the Intel P35 chipset so I can say
that chipset works absolutely fine with Linux.

I believe any of those boards you list should be fine but the P5K/Pro
iP35 seems to offer the best value for money.

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Nicola Degl'Innocenti wrote:
> Hi!
> I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows
> (that i use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware
> compatibility with linux.
>
> I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT,

Stay away from NVidia. Good performing cards, but their Linux support is
atrocious (and that's being kind to them)

ATI are not much better but at least they make something of an effort to
publish some specs.

Intell cards are the best supported and the worst performing I'm afraid

> but i
> am very confused about the motherboard. The cheapest shop vendor only
> have asus motherboard so i don't have much choice.
> - Asus P5E X38 DDR2 for 189 €
> - Asus P5K/pro iP35 for 114 €
> - Asus P5N32-E/SLI 680i for 199€
> - Asus P5N-T dlx 780i 232€

Look further afield. Don't limit yourself to just one shop based on
price. The price difference between motherboards isn't that great when
compared to the cost of an entire box, and the wrong decision can be
very painful in the future

> Someone have one of those cards or know a good site with information
> about linux compatibility for those cards?
>
> The SLI capability is not important as having ethernet or sound
> supported on linux.

Ethernet is not a problem now and has not been for a very long time.
Sound is mostly similar.

Video cards is the big sticking point

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Galevsky

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Video cards is the big sticking point

For sure. But I guess that he wants to satellite his GC with the last
Windows games, so I would recommend a 8800. And his NVIDIA wont hurt
for a common desktop usage.

As for the performances, could you tell me if there is a gap between
nv and the proprietary driver ? I Never tried the later.

Gal'

Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 25. Mrz 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Nicola Degl'Innocenti wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I would like to buy a new pc, but since I use linux more than windows
> > (that i use only for gaming), I am interested in hardware
> > compatibility with linux.
> >
> > I'm planing to buy a core 2 Duo platform with a nvidia 8800 GT,
>
> Stay away from NVidia. Good performing cards, but their Linux support is
> atrocious (and that's being kind to them)

he is talking about mobos not graphic cards. And nvidia-mobos are fine.

And the support of their graphic cards is ok too. If you don't like their
binary driver, you can always use the nv driver.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Galevsky wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Alan McKinnon
> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote: <snip>
>
> > Video cards is the big sticking point
>
> For sure. But I guess that he wants to satellite his GC with the last
> Windows games, so I would recommend a 8800. And his NVIDIA wont hurt
> for a common desktop usage.
>
> As for the performances, could you tell me if there is a gap between
> nv and the proprietary driver ? I Never tried the later.

I'll let someone more current answer that - I haven't done head to head
comparisons on nvidia for ages. Last I heard, nv was still way behind
in terms of features supported, but that can change quite quickly.

Anyone else got current info on this? It's a question I'm sure many folk
would like an answer on

Old 03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > As for the performances, could you tell me if there is a gap between
> > nv and the proprietary driver ? I Never tried the later.
>
> I'll let someone more current answer that - I haven't done head to
> head
> comparisons on nvidia for ages. Last I heard, nv was still way behind
> in terms of features supported, but that can change quite quickly.
>
> Anyone else got current info on this? It's a question I'm sure many
> folk
> would like an answer on

The nv driver has *no* 3D acceleration and limited 2D acceleration due
to nVidia's refusal to release the specs needed to create a decent OSS
driver.

You can try the nouveau* drivers but they're still experimental.

* http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

-a

Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Galevsky

Tank you.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 25. Mrz 2008, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > As for the performances, could you tell me if there is a gap between
> > > nv and the proprietary driver ? I Never tried the later.
> >
> > I'll let someone more current answer that - I haven't done head to
> > head
> > comparisons on nvidia for ages. Last I heard, nv was still way behind
> > in terms of features supported, but that can change quite quickly.
> >
> > Anyone else got current info on this? It's a question I'm sure many
> > folk
> > would like an answer on
>
> The nv driver has *no* 3D acceleration and limited 2D acceleration due
> to nVidia's refusal to release the specs needed to create a decent OSS
> driver.

since the nv driver is written by nvidia, who needs specs?