Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default A helping hand with virtual machines, please.

Hi, Gentoo.

A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
virtual machines on my Gentoo.

I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.

Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.

TVM

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
> virtual machines on my Gentoo.
>
> I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
> directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
>
> Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
> looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
>
> TVM
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

The two biggies are VMware (closed source) and Virtualbox. (Open
Source) I use both but am slowly leaving VMware behind.

There are others I've never used like kvm, xen, qemu.

HTH,
Mark

Old 11-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
> virtual machines on my Gentoo.
>
> I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
> directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
>
> Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
> looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.

I've heard you should stay away from virtualbox, due to instability
from their kernel modules.

Apart from that, make sure your kernel has kvm support enabled.

From there, you can either try playing with Xen (I've got my Gentoo
desktop as my dom0), libvirt, qemu-kvm or vmware-workstation. I
haven't tried any of the latter three on Gentoo, and I haven't tried
vmware on Linux at *all*.

I can't make a good recommendation for which would suit you best.
Perhaps someone else could make a suggestion or two.

--
:wq

Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Felix Kuperjans

Hi Alan,

Am 22.11.2011 20:20, schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> A friend of mine recently suggested I should install and play with
> virtual machines on my Gentoo.
>
> I've scanned /usr/portage for likely looking packages, particularly in
> directory "virtual", yet found nothing likely looking.
Virtual machines are all in /usr/portage/app-emulation, not in virtual
(that is for virtual packages).
> Would somebody please give me some hints which packages I should be
> looking at, and perhaps any use flags I might need.
VirtualBox is quite easy for beginners, but requires external kernel
modules and requires a GUI (what you most probably want anyway).

KVM (maybe with virt-manager as a GUI) is quite powerful for desktop
virtualization, but requires processor support (but it is available on
all recent (Core2 oder newer) non-Atom CPUs by Intel and AFAIK all
recent AMD CPUs) and the kernel modules (but they are real upstream
modules and very stable).

Xen is the most advanced solution, but maybe not the best one to play
around. But it's supported by virt-manager, too.