-   -   howto disable automatic net.eth0 configuration (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/601376-howto-disable-automatic-net-eth0-configuration.html)

Justin Findlay 11-22-2011 04:46 PM

howto disable automatic net.eth0 configuration

I have a laptop computer with an ethernet port, and during bootup
dhcpcd gets invoked (twice) to configure a network connection on
'eth0'. I have set

rc_hotplug="* !net.eth0"

in /etc/rc.conf and

RC_HOTPLUG="yes"
RC_COLDPLUG="yes"
RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.eth0"

in /etc/conf.d/rc (why do these files still both exist after 7 years,
especially as they contain duplicate configuration?)

I have also set 'noipv4ll' in /etc/dhcpcd.conf. None of these
configurations prevent the double automatic initialization attempts
for net.eth0.

I would just unmerge dhcpcd, but it seems that NetworkManager needs an
external dhcp client. What can I do to prevent this behavior? What
have I missed?

Justin

Neil Bothwick 11-22-2011 05:07 PM

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:46:43 -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:

> I have a laptop computer with an ethernet port, and during bootup
> dhcpcd gets invoked (twice) to configure a network connection on
> 'eth0'. I have set
>
> rc_hotplug="* !net.eth0"

Try rc_hotplug="!net.eth0 *". It may be matching eth0 on the * and
looking no further.

> in /etc/rc.conf and
>
> RC_HOTPLUG="yes"
> RC_COLDPLUG="yes"
> RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.eth0"
>
> in /etc/conf.d/rc (why do these files still both exist after 7 years,
> especially as they contain duplicate configuration?)

Because you did not delete /etc/conf.d/rc after upgrading to baselayout2.

> I would just unmerge dhcpcd, but it seems that NetworkManager needs an
> external dhcp client. What can I do to prevent this behaviour?

You could ditch NetworkManager...

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error:01F Reserved for future mistakes.