Old 11-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Dale

Default LibreOffice 3.4.4: required HDD space

James Broadhead wrote:

On 20 November 2011 18:32, Neil Bothwick
<neil@digimed.co.uk>
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:07:33 -0500, Michael
Mol wrote:

> Ok, then I'll narrow my guess to the size required
being dependent on

> USE flag combinations.

Also CFLAGS and architecture, to a lesser extent.

Seeing as the ebuild is 'aware' of CFLAGS and USE, it would
be nice if it would use that information (roughly) to
determine how much space to check for.*

4-9GiB is a pretty wide range. *

Then people will complain that it takes to long for emerge to figure
out how much space each combination of USE flags will need, if there
is even a way to do it.* I doubt there is a way to do that unless
some dev wants to spend the time compiling each combination and test
it.*

The funny thing is, my partition runs out of space on /var so I have
to mount portage's work directory on tmpfs to have the space to
compile LOo.* lol

Dale

:-)* :-)

Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:58:22 +0000
James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 November 2011 18:32, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:07:33 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, then I'll narrow my guess to the size required being
> > > dependent on USE flag combinations.
> >
> > Also CFLAGS and architecture, to a lesser extent.
>

> Seeing as the ebuild is 'aware' of CFLAGS and USE, it would be nice
> if it would use that information (roughly) to determine how much
> space to check for.
>
> 4-9GiB is a pretty wide range.

If the maintainer implemented that, he'd be promptly inundated with all
manner of support question none of which he can answer accurately.

A slight mis-measurement on how much space a specific setup needs
results in a failed build, or a build that won't start or any amount of
other craziness.

Read the maintainer's blog sometime (it's on the gentoo.org frontpage)
to get a sense of what it takes to maintain that bitch of a project.
Something as simple as figuring out what packages LibreOffice bundles
and making the ebuild use the system one instead is a mammoth task.
Don't forget that every little tweak is 2 hours of building just to
test if it builds. Then one has to test if it works....

I'm not surprised the OOo and LibreOffice ebuilds take the easy route -
figure out by enabling everything the maximum amount of free space OOo
ould possibly need to build, then insist the build host has at least
that much free. Heck, I'd do exactly the same.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 PM
James Broadhead

On 20 November 2011 20:09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:58:22 +0000
> James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seeing as the ebuild is 'aware' of CFLAGS and USE, it would be nice
>> if it would use that information (roughly) to determine how much
>> space to check for.
>>
>> 4-9GiB is a pretty wide range.
>
> A slight mis-measurement on how much space a specific setup needs
> results in a failed build, or a build that won't start or any amount of
> other craziness.
>
> Read the maintainer's blog sometime (it's on the gentoo.org frontpage)
> to get a sense of what it takes to maintain that bitch of a project.
> Something as simple as figuring out what packages LibreOffice bundles
> and making the ebuild use the system one instead is a mammoth task.
> Don't forget that every little tweak is 2 hours of building just to
> test if it builds. Then one has to test if it works....
>
> I'm not surprised the OOo and LibreOffice ebuilds take the easy route -
> figure out by enabling everything the maximum amount of free space OOo
> ould possibly need to build, then insist the build host has at least
> that much free. Heck, I'd do exactly the same.

I read the blogs, and I'm well aware of the difficulties. I suppose
I'm pretty used to running my laptop pretty close to the wire
space-wise, and so an ebuild asking for 9GiB when it only requires
5GiB would cause me to have to shuffle a lot of things around to no
good end.

Really though, it would be replacing one (inaccurate, but
conservative) estimate with two such estimates.

Still, nothing much to stress about.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:49:07 +0000
James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 November 2011 20:09, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:58:22 +0000
> > James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Seeing as the ebuild is 'aware' of CFLAGS and USE, it would be nice
> >> if it would use that information (roughly) to determine how much
> >> space to check for.
> >>
> >> 4-9GiB is a pretty wide range.
> >
> > A slight mis-measurement on how much space a specific setup needs
> > results in a failed build, or a build that won't start or any
> > amount of other craziness.
> >
> > Read the maintainer's blog sometime (it's on the gentoo.org
> > frontpage) to get a sense of what it takes to maintain that bitch
> > of a project. Something as simple as figuring out what packages
> > LibreOffice bundles and making the ebuild use the system one
> > instead is a mammoth task. Don't forget that every little tweak is
> > 2 hours of building just to test if it builds. Then one has to test
> > if it works....
> >
> > I'm not surprised the OOo and LibreOffice ebuilds take the easy
> > route - figure out by enabling everything the maximum amount of
> > free space OOo ould possibly need to build, then insist the build
> > host has at least that much free. Heck, I'd do exactly the same.
>
> I read the blogs, and I'm well aware of the difficulties. I suppose
> I'm pretty used to running my laptop pretty close to the wire
> space-wise, and so an ebuild asking for 9GiB when it only requires
> 5GiB would cause me to have to shuffle a lot of things around to no
> good end.
>
> Really though, it would be replacing one (inaccurate, but
> conservative) estimate with two such estimates.

Where are you getting your information from?

9G is what the dev reckons is the maximum. This other figure of 4G -
what is that? The amount needed by some arb combination on some arb
user's machine? That's not a good enough criteria.

It's not really the maximum plus one well-defined other. It's is the
maximum plus every other possible combination (there is no defined
minimal).

If it's an issue for you, the solution is simple - keep a copy of the
ebuild in your local overlay and edit the space requirements. Keep it up
to date and in-sync with the ebuild in the main tree. It means you get
to a little extra work, but is preferable to the dev doing a lot of
extra work

Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
9G is what the dev reckons is the maximum. This other figure of 4G -
what is that? The amount needed by some arb combination on some arb
user's machine? That's not a good enough criteria. It's not really the
maximum plus one well-defined other. It's is the maximum plus every
other possible combination (there is no defined minimal). If it's an
issue for you, the solution is simple - keep a copy of the ebuild in
your local overlay and edit the space requirements. Keep it up to date
and in-sync with the ebuild in the main tree. It means you get to a
little extra work, but is preferable to the dev doing a lot of extra work

With a compile that takes as long as LOo does, I'd want the dev to be on
the side of caution rather than underestimating it. If the max is 9Gbs,
then that is what they should check for. I would much rather the dev do
that than for me to get to about 90% of the compile done then get the
little message that it is out of space. I wouldn't be "hal" mad but it
would sort of tick me off a bit. ;-) Maybe not as bad as /usr on init
or using a init thingy either. Still a bit upset tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-11-20, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 4-9GiB is a pretty wide range.
>
> If the maintainer implemented that, he'd be promptly inundated with
> all manner of support question none of which he can answer
> accurately.
>
> A slight mis-measurement on how much space a specific setup needs
> results in a failed build, or a build that won't start or any amount
> of other craziness.

I've developed a pretty accurate rule for determining how much disk
space is required for building LO. Just before you start the emerge,
do a "df" command. Take the number for the filesystem where your
builds are done and add 15%.

--
Grant