What provides font 7x14-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz in Gentoo?
is loaded from that file. Here's what lead me to ask...
- I installed xfreecell on a fresh system
- I couldn't get it to start, it complained about not being able to open
a font, but didn't specify which one (thanks !NOT)
- I did some spelunking in the xfreecell tarball in distfiles. Right
near the top of the README file is a statement that says...
"Make sure there is a font named 7x14."
- "xlsfonts | grep 7x14" didn't find anything
- in Google, I found other occurences of the same error message as I got
and then asking how to get the "7x14" font
- there were several people reporting that font-misc-misc did the trick
for them. But it didn't work for me.
- file /usr/share/fonts/misc/fonts.alias showed that "7x14" was an alias
- The font-misc-misc ebuild appears to install 7x14.pcf.gz, which
contains Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--14-130-75-75-C-70-ISO10646-1, a
- Out of sheer desperation, I dug through *.pcf.gz files on another
machine, and copied over 7x14-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz, which finally got
I'd still like to know which ebuild I should've used, rather than
copying over a binary file.
Walter Dnes <firstname.lastname@example.org>