Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Mick

Default Can't tether the phone and use it as a modem anymore

Has something changed in the bluetooth configuration over the last six months
or so? I can't seem to be able connect to rfcomm anymore ...

I can connect to the phone, l2ping it, etc, but when I use kppp to dial, the
modem does not respond. Also, there's no rfcomm showing under ifconfig -a,
which I seem to recall that it should normally come up. This is my
rfcomm.conf:

#
# RFCOMM configuration file.
#

rfcomm0 {
# # Automatically bind the device at startup
# bind no;
bind yes;
# # Bluetooth address of the device
# device 11:22:33:44:55:66;
device 00:1A:10:5C:20:BF;
#
# # RFCOMM channel for the connection
# channel 1;
channel 1;
# # Description of the connection
# comment "Example Bluetooth device";
comment "Nokia 6021";
}

Any ideas?
Mick

Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Mick

On Saturday 19 Nov 2011 17:32:27 Mick wrote:
> Has something changed in the bluetooth configuration over the last six
> months or so? I can't seem to be able connect to rfcomm anymore ...
>
> I can connect to the phone, l2ping it, etc, but when I use kppp to dial,
> the modem does not respond. Also, there's no rfcomm showing under
> ifconfig -a, which I seem to recall that it should normally come up. This
> is my rfcomm.conf:
>
> #
> # RFCOMM configuration file.
> #
>
> rfcomm0 {
> # # Automatically bind the device at startup
> # bind no;
> bind yes;
> # # Bluetooth address of the device
> # device 11:22:33:44:55:66;
> device 00:1A:10:5C:20:BF;
> #
> # # RFCOMM channel for the connection
> # channel 1;
> channel 1;
> # # Description of the connection
> # comment "Example Bluetooth device";
> comment "Nokia 6021";
> }
>

> Any ideas?

Aha! It seems that I have an access issue ...

If I connect with the phone as root (hcitools cc 00:1A:10:5C:20:BF) I can then
query the modem and dial out.

Why would that be ... my user is a member of the uucp group:

# ls -la /dev/rfcomm0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 216, 0 Nov 19 17:44 /dev/rfcomm0

Mick