Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default Progress on s/udev/mdev/

So, any progress/updates on the attempt to replace udev with busybox's mdev?

As for my case, it's working well on XenServer and VMware ESX /
vSphere (haven't found the time to test a VirtualBox installation
yet).

Except for one annoyance:

Now, I've done the steps put forth by waltdnes here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/242563

... but every "eix-sync && emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to
re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else
portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev

Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited
dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by
eix-sync?

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248
*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Paul Colquhoun

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 06:33:59 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
> So, any progress/updates on the attempt to replace udev with busybox's mdev?
>
> As for my case, it's working well on XenServer and VMware ESX /
> vSphere (haven't found the time to test a VirtualBox installation
> yet).
>
> Except for one annoyance:
>
> Now, I've done the steps put forth by waltdnes here:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/242563
>
> ... but every "eix-sync && emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to
> re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else
> portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev
>
> Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited
> dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by
> eix-sync?
>
> Rgds,

You can copy the ebuild to your own private overlay ( /usr/local/portage )
make your changes there, and bump the version number slightly.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:38:42 +1100, Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> > ... but every "eix-sync && emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to
> > re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else
> > portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev
> >
> > Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited
> > dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by
> > eix-sync?

> You can copy the ebuild to your own private overlay
> ( /usr/local/portage ) make your changes there, and bump the version
> number slightly.

No need to bump the version number, overlays take priority over the
standard tree when there are equal version numbers.

--
Neil Bothwick

This is the day for firm decisions! Or is it?

Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 19, 2011 6:56 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:38:42 +1100, Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> > > ... but every "eix-sync && emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to

> > > re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else

> > > portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev

> > > Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited

> > > dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by

> > > eix-sync?

> > You can copy the ebuild to your own private overlay

> > ( /usr/local/portage ) make your changes there, and bump the version

> > number slightly.

> No need to bump the version number, overlays take priority over the

> standard tree when there are equal version numbers.

I knew I forgot something so simple >.<

Thanks!

Hmmm... so, @waltdnes, you should modify the procedure a bit, there...

Rgds,

Old 11-19-2011, 03:55 AM

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 08:41:43AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote
> On Nov 19, 2011 6:56 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 09:38:42 +1100, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> >
> > > You can copy the ebuild to your own private overlay
> > > ( /usr/local/portage ) make your changes there, and bump the version
> > > number slightly.
> >
> > No need to bump the version number, overlays take priority over the
> > standard tree when there are equal version numbers.
> >

> I knew I forgot something so simple >.<
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hmmm... so, @waltdnes, you should modify the procedure a bit, there...

Will do. This is what beta tests are for <G>.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 19, 2011 11:58 AM, <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 08:41:43AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote

> > > No need to bump the version number, overlays take priority over the

> > > standard tree when there are equal version numbers.

> > I knew I forgot something so simple >.<

> > Thanks!

> > Hmmm... so, @waltdnes, you should modify the procedure a bit, there...

> *Will do. *This is what beta tests are for <G>.

Great! BTW, if the ebuild goes into overlay, it could use a newer EAPI, couldn't it?

If it could, then it'll solve the problem of busybox[mdev].

Rgds,

Old 11-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Steven J Long

Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Great! BTW, if the ebuild goes into overlay, it could use a newer EAPI,
> couldn't it?
Sure.

--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)

Old 11-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 19, 2011 11:58 AM, <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 08:41:43AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote

> > > No need to bump the version number, overlays take priority over the

> > > standard tree when there are equal version numbers.

> > I knew I forgot something so simple >.<

> > Thanks!

> > Hmmm... so, @waltdnes, you should modify the procedure a bit, there...

> *Will do. *This is what beta tests are for <G>.

While you're at it, you might want to check out how mdev handles hotplugging.

Start with the primer:

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/docs/mdev.txt?h=1_18_stable

And gain some ideas here on how mdev executes helper scripts:

http://quirk.ch/2010/01/how-to-set-up-mdev-rules-for-busybox

Hope these help! I'm still away from my Gentoo boxen so I can't test my ideas yet.

Rgds,

Old 11-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Dale

Pandu Poluan wrote:

So, any progress/updates on the attempt to replace udev with busybox's mdev?

As for my case, it's working well on XenServer and VMware ESX /
vSphere (haven't found the time to test a VirtualBox installation
yet).

Except for one annoyance:

Now, I've done the steps put forth by waltdnes here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/242563

... but every "eix-sync&& emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to
re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else
portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev

Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited
dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by
eix-sync?

Rgds,

Question: Is this going to be added to the shiney new Gentoo wiki at
some point? The wiki needs some more content for sure. ;-)

I didn't know if ya'll had thought of this before or not.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 20, 2011 10:56 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pandu Poluan wrote:

>> So, any progress/updates on the attempt to replace udev with busybox's mdev?

>> As for my case, it's working well on XenServer and VMware ESX /

>> vSphere (haven't found the time to test a VirtualBox installation

>> yet).

>> Except for one annoyance:

>> Now, I've done the steps put forth by waltdnes here:

>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/242563

>> ... but every "eix-sync&& *emerge -avuD @world" finds me having to

>> re-edit /usr/portage/virtual/dev-manager/dev-manager-0.ebuild, or else

>> portage wants to emerge sys-apps/makedev and sys-fs/static-dev

>> Is there a way to 'force' portage to use the edited

>> dev-manager-0.ebuild and not the original version pulled in by

>> eix-sync?

>> Rgds,

> Question: *Is this going to be added to the shiney new Gentoo wiki at some point? *The wiki needs some more content for sure. *;-)

> I didn't know if ya'll had thought of this before or not.

Well, although I can't read @waltdnes' mind, I'm sure he has that in mind.

We're still ironing out the showstoppers. As soon as the generic glitches/annoyances (e.g., my 'fight' against portage reverting the .ebuild edits) are handled, I'm sure a w.g.o article will automagically appears ;-)

Rgds,