Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Érico Porto

Default embedded gentoo?

Hi,
Has anyone here ever tried to build a really small filesystem to embed gentoo into some non x86 hardware? Pure curiosity.Érico V. Porto

Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Dale

Érico Porto wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone here ever tried to build a really small filesystem to embed
gentoo into some non x86 hardware? Pure curiosity.

Érico V. Porto

Someone put Gentoo on a guitar once. Think I'm kidding right?

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20100125-misa-guitar-interview.xml

http://www.skuggen.com/2010/01/how-cool-is-this-a-linux-guitar/

No idea on the arch tho. Neat huh?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 AM
James

Érico Porto <ericoporto2008 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone here ever tried to build a really small filesystem to
> embed gentoo into some non x86 hardware? Pure curiosity.

Yes, on lots of arch's all sorts of small file systems.

You should post to the list gentoo-embedded.
SH, ppc, arm, mips and many other arch's supported.
Find an archive and search therein, if you do not want
to post to the gentoo-embedded list.

Also take a look at the embedded handbook, if you have not
seen it before:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

hth,
James

Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Nov 18, 2011 6:54 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Érico Porto wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Has anyone here ever tried to build a really small filesystem to embed gentoo into some non x86 hardware? Pure curiosity.

>> Érico V. Porto

> Someone put Gentoo on a guitar once. *Think I'm kidding right?

> http://www.gentoo.org/news/20100125-misa-guitar-interview.xml

> http://www.skuggen.com/2010/01/how-cool-is-this-a-linux-guitar/

> No idea on the arch tho. *Neat huh?

Well, the first link mentioned AMD Geode and "x86 install handbook" :-)

Rgds,

Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Dale

wrote:

> Érico Porto wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Has anyone here ever tried to build a really small
filesystem to embed gentoo into some non x86 hardware? Pure
curiosity.

>> Érico V. Porto

> Someone put Gentoo on a guitar once. *Think I'm kidding
right?

> http://www.gentoo.org/news/20100125-misa-guitar-interview.xml

> http://www.skuggen.com/2010/01/how-cool-is-this-a-linux-guitar/

> No idea on the arch tho. *Neat huh?

Well, the first link mentioned AMD Geode and "x86 install
handbook" :-)

Rgds,

It was about a year or so ago when I read it.* I couldn't recall the
arch but it is nice.* I got a friend I wish could see that thing.*

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 11-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:51:55 -0600
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Érico Porto wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone here ever tried to build a really small filesystem to
> > embed gentoo into some non x86 hardware? Pure curiosity.
> >
> > Érico V. Porto
>
> Someone put Gentoo on a guitar once. Think I'm kidding right?
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/news/20100125-misa-guitar-interview.xml
>
> http://www.skuggen.com/2010/01/how-cool-is-this-a-linux-guitar/
>
> No idea on the arch tho. Neat huh?

That's nothing, someone once put NetBSD on a toaster. And someone else
managed to install Linux on a dead badger, but I think that was a spoof.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 11-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:18:01 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> That's nothing, someone once put NetBSD on a toaster. And someone else
> managed to install Linux on a dead badger, but I think that was a spoof.

That's nothing, Nokia have put Windows on a phone!

--
Neil Bothwick

The trouble with the world is that everybody in it is three drinks behind.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Norman Rieß

Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Érico Porto

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:18:01 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> That's nothing, someone once put NetBSD on a toaster. And someone else

> managed to install Linux on a dead badger, but I think that was a spoof.

That's nothing, Nokia have put Windows on a phone!

--

Neil Bothwick

The trouble with the world is that everybody in it is three drinks behind.

LOL
*Wow! A gentoo embedded handbook! Didn't know it was there, seems great!

Just one thought, does anyone knows a good website to pdf converter or anything that makes the web more readable?*

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Érico Porto

(forget it, seems the original adobe reader and instapaper are the solutions)Érico V. Porto