Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Érico Porto

Default sdhc card on eeepc701 running gentoo

Hello,

I'm having lots of hardware error current when trying to use a sdhc card (transcend 16GB) on my eeepc701. I have never used any card on gentoo before, but I have used with success previously in Ubuntu.

Is there some know bug?

Also, only sometimes I get a device at /dev/sdb and couldn't get any /dev/sdb1 to show, but I do see it using fdisk /dev/sdb and them pressing p.

Érico V. Porto

Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Érico Porto <ericoporto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having lots of hardware error current when trying to use a sdhc card
> (transcend 16GB) on my eeepc701. I have never used any card on gentoo
> before, but I have used with success previously in Ubuntu.
>
> Is there some know bug?
>
> Also, only sometimes I get a device at /dev/sdb and couldn't get any
> /dev/sdb1 to show, but I do see it using fdisk /dev/sdb and them pressing p.
>
> Érico V. Porto

Could be a dying card. Try imaging it on another machine?

--
:wq

Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Érico Porto <ericoporto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having lots of hardware error current when trying to use a sdhc card
> (transcend 16GB) on my eeepc701. I have never used any card on gentoo
> before, but I have used with success previously in Ubuntu.
>
> Is there some know bug?
>
> Also, only sometimes I get a device at /dev/sdb and couldn't get any
> /dev/sdb1 to show, but I do see it using fdisk /dev/sdb and them pressing p.

I have a USB card reader that only worked if I issued "hdparm -z
/dev/sdX", for some reason the device only worked after the second
time it was initialized. I don't know if you're using USB or MMC
interface for your card reader but maybe you can try it.

I have another device that used the MMC driver, it didn't work
properly with fast cards (above class 4) -- massive corruption every
time -- the "fix" was to hardcode the DTO value of 0xA in the mmc
driver (instead of dynamic calculation), after that it worked fine...

Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Érico Porto

it is a 16GB class 10 Transcend, but the eeepc uses a usb card reader inside of it - no mmc I think.
Actually, the first thing I tried to do with it was to format to ext2, and then the formating proccess frozed in the middle of it.. I've tried to load it in a windows pc after but couldn't read, and when I tried to format, everything frozed - but it was a public computer, so I don't know if it ever had a working card reader.

I've booted ubuntu in the eeepc now, and the card is shown in /dev/sdc1, but I can't edit it using disk utility - it gives me error calling fsync(2), on:/dev/sdc: input/output error. But on ubuntu I don't see no dmesg error msgs like the ones I see on gentoo just by plugin it on the port.

Is there any disk error checking utility in gentoo or ubuntu?
Érico V. Porto

Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Dale

Érico Porto wrote:
it is a 16GB class 10 Transcend, but the eeepc uses a usb card reader
inside of it - no mmc I think.

Actually, the first thing I tried to do with it was to format to ext2,
and then the formating proccess frozed in the middle of it.. I've
tried to load it in a windows pc after but couldn't read, and when I
tried to format, everything frozed - but it was a public computer, so
I don't know if it ever had a working card reader.

I've booted ubuntu in the eeepc now, and the card is shown in
/dev/sdc1, but I can't edit it using disk utility - it gives me error
calling fsync(2), on:/dev/sdc: input/output error. But on ubuntu I
don't see no dmesg error msgs like the ones I see on gentoo just by
plugin it on the port.

Is there any disk error checking utility in gentoo or ubuntu?

Érico V. Porto

This may help. smartmontools I'm not sure what sort of testing can be
done on those if any.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Érico Porto

hdparm -i /dev/sdb gives meSG_IO: bad/missing sense data sb[]: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 24 00 (00..HDIO_GET_IDENDITY failed: Invalid argument
I think I will try to use my warranty...

Érico V. Porto

[...]

:-) *:-)

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Dale

Érico Porto wrote:
one thing I noted, is that I'm having buffer i/o error on logical
block 3939582. Is it possible to at least use the position before this?

Érico V. Porto

I had sort of the same problem with a hard drive a few weeks ago. I got
the data off and a day or so later, it died. If it was me, I wouldn't
trust it with any data where there is no copies somewhere else. It has
problems, I would replace it. Since it is under warranty, just get them
to replace it. Maybe the new one will be better.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 AM

Hello,

I would guess the internal reader don't work properly for such modern cards.
Especially for the 701 there exist some reports about similar problems.
You may try on another (external) sd-card-reader which is specified for class 10 cards.

Steffen.