Old 03-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Grant

Default Switch between sound cards?

> Grant,
> On the previous machine where I gave you the modules.d/alsa file I
> use the onboard sound chip for most sound but my main card is a 26
> input, 26 output RME HDSP 9652 card.
>
> On my wife's machine, and out MythTV backend server, we use the
> intel-hda oinboard sound chip for most audio but we also have an
> external usb sound card that converts from USB to TOS link which I use
> to drive our home theater receiver. I'm putting the alsa file at the
> end of this post.
>
> Note that on this machine when we want to play audio using Aqualung
> through the onboard device this is the command in the Gnome launcher:
>
> /usr/bin/aqualung -o alsa -d hw:0,0
>
> while if we want to play through the USB device we use this:
>
> /usr/bin/aqualung -o alsa -d hw:1,0
>
> Not sure why you'd be having trouble. We use this technique on
> Aqualung, mplayer, xine and MythTV. The basic idea works once you get
> it under control.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in writing back. I've been out of town.

I thought this over and what I need is to send all audio to the USB
card if it is present, otherwise to the internal card. The only
exception is twinkle (voip) should always deal with the internal card.
Luckily twinkle has internal settings for that.

I can't get alsa to fall back to the internal card if USB isn't
present. Can that be done with a single config in alsa, or do I need
to change configs to change cards or use pulseaudio?

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=1