Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Grant

Default AMD vs. Intel on Gentoo?

I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
think?

- Grant

Old 03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Florian Philipp

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 10:07 -0700, Grant wrote:
> I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
> AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
> faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
> think?
>
> - Grant

I work at the German Aerospace Center (basically the German NASA). We've
been using AMD CPUs for a long time on our clusters and workstations
because they were not only cheaper but also faster on floating point
operations whereas Intel was faster on integer operations. Now we are
switching to Intel because AMD lost this advantage and has problems
delivering the ordered number of CPUs.
I personally stick with AMD because they have a factory in Germany and I
don't want Intel to rule the market as they've done before AMD came up
with the Athlon XP.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Norman Rieß

Grant schrieb:

I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
think?

- Grant

Well the experience of a desktop or an application depends on more than
just the processor. Nearly every part of a computer does its part. And
then you have the software, what software you use, how it is build, what
reqirements this software has on other software and hardware and so on.
Does it uses the FPU or is it heavy on the ALU. How much IO is used and
how much can the system provide.
But if you believe the average hardwaremagazine, intel is a step ahead
right now.

Norman

Old 03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Norman Rieß

Florian Philipp schrieb:

I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
think?

- Grant

I work at the German Aerospace Center (basically the German NASA). We've
been using AMD CPUs for a long time on our clusters and workstations
because they were not only cheaper but also faster on floating point
operations whereas Intel was faster on integer operations. Now we are
switching to Intel because AMD lost this advantage and has problems
delivering the ordered number of CPUs.
I personally stick with AMD because they have a factory in Germany and I
don't want Intel to rule the market as they've done before AMD came up
with the Athlon XP.

I can confirm that. The German Weather Service uses AMD CPU's on the
servers for visualising weathercharts due to better FPU performance.

The new bunch of servers however are intel systems.

Norman

Old 03-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Florian Philipp

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 18:44 +0100, Norman Rieß wrote:
> Grant schrieb:
> > I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
> > AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
> > faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
> > think?
> >
> > - Grant
> >
> Well the experience of a desktop or an application depends on more than
> just the processor. Nearly every part of a computer does its part. And
> then you have the software, what software you use, how it is build, what
> reqirements this software has on other software and hardware and so on.
> Does it uses the FPU or is it heavy on the ALU. How much IO is used and
> how much can the system provide.
> But if you believe the average hardwaremagazine, intel is a step ahead
> right now.
>
> Norman

When Intel finally implements HyperTransport (I think it's planned for
the next generation), AMD will loose their last bastion performance
wise ... what a pity.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Grant

> > > I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
> > > AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
> > > faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
> > > think?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> > >
> > Well the experience of a desktop or an application depends on more than
> > just the processor. Nearly every part of a computer does its part. And
> > then you have the software, what software you use, how it is build, what
> > reqirements this software has on other software and hardware and so on.
> > Does it uses the FPU or is it heavy on the ALU. How much IO is used and
> > how much can the system provide.
> > But if you believe the average hardwaremagazine, intel is a step ahead
> > right now.
> >
> > Norman
>
> When Intel finally implements HyperTransport (I think it's planned for
> the next generation), AMD will loose their last bastion performance
> wise ... what a pity.

It is a pity. When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?

- Grant

Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 22. März 2008, Grant wrote:
> I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
> AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
> faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
> think?

price/performance still favours AMD.

Also, without even knowing your hardware, it is really hard to say why your
laptop is faster or your desktop slower.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Norman Rieß

Grant schrieb:

> > I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
> > AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
> > faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
> > think?
> >
> > - Grant
> >
> Well the experience of a desktop or an application depends on more than
> just the processor. Nearly every part of a computer does its part. And
> then you have the software, what software you use, how it is build, what
> reqirements this software has on other software and hardware and so on.
> Does it uses the FPU or is it heavy on the ALU. How much IO is used and
> how much can the system provide.
> But if you believe the average hardwaremagazine, intel is a step ahead
> right now.
>
> Norman

When Intel finally implements HyperTransport (I think it's planned for
the next generation), AMD will loose their last bastion performance
wise ... what a pity.

It is a pity. When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?

- Grant

With the arrival of the Core CPU's.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:29 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well the experience of a desktop or an application depends on more than
> > > just the processor. Nearly every part of a computer does its part. And
> > > then you have the software, what software you use, how it is build, what
> > > reqirements this software has on other software and hardware and so on.
> > > Does it uses the FPU or is it heavy on the ALU. How much IO is used and
> > > how much can the system provide.
> > > But if you believe the average hardwaremagazine, intel is a step ahead
> > > right now.
> > >
> > > Norman
> >
> > When Intel finally implements HyperTransport (I think it's planned for
> > the next generation), AMD will loose their last bastion performance
> > wise ... what a pity.
>
> It is a pity. When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?
>
> - Grant

When Intel came out with its Core Two Duo CPUs, and *really* when
Intel came out with Quad Cores before AMD.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:34 PM
James

Norman Rieß <norman <at> smash-net.org> writes:

> > It is a pity. When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?

> With the arrival of the Core CPU's.

When/if AMD is able to complete their new architecture, integrating
video processors with 64 bit processors they might become competitive
on a cost/performance basis. Certainly with AMD open sourcing new video
driver development, they still have a v very strong appeal to open sources
users. HIGH end technical clusters and the processors they use are different
needs than the average small business or consumer, which needs robust support
for open source video and applications.

If everyone runs to Intel, we'll all be *very sorry* in a few years.......

The ultimate questions is do you really make a purchase decision base strictly
on extreme benchmark results, or do you stand by your vendor, as they regroup
and keep things competitive? Remember Intel has been just as evil as Redmond
particular in matters related to DeCSS and video on computer issues, IMHO.

AMD is my soul_mate....(particularly since they are open sourcing new
ATI video drivers...)

James