Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Default Experimenting with weekly Wake theme

Incorporating the idea originally from Shoowa theme, I added a subtle
effects on Wave theme background to represent the number of day where
nothing means Sunday, one small round is Monday and more. I have used a
vaccum on some svg which caused a funny effects.

Note: the file is really huge (46 MB) so I have tarred them instead of
putting each image separately.

Luya

Ref:
http://luya.fedorapeople.org/packages/wave_theme.tar.bz2

Old 03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 00:15 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Incorporating the idea originally from Shoowa theme, I added a subtle
> effects on Wave theme background to represent the number of day where
> nothing means Sunday, one small round is Monday and more. I have used a
> vaccum on some svg which caused a funny effects.
>
> Note: the file is really huge (46 MB) so I have tarred them instead of
> putting each image separately.
>
> Luya
>
> Ref:
> http://luya.fedorapeople.org/packages/wave_theme.tar.bz2

Hi,

the funny effects you talk about is the missing sulphur stone in some of
the images, or is it intentional? However, opening the affected SVGs in
inkscape results in correct image, so exporting to PNG should work OK.

Next, it is a real huge set of wallpapers and unless we could do some
kind of diffs between the wallpapers it is far to much for being default
wallpaper set (at least for Live CDs), IMHO.

I also noticed the PNGs included are not sharp. How did you get them
from the SVGs? Direct export from SVG (in inkscape) does not show this
rather low quality rendering.

And now to the general idea. I am not opposed to the idea itself, also
representing Sunday as 0 is interesting, since it is start of the week
for some countries, while Monday (in your counting number 1) in another
ones But, I don't like very much how it is implemented. When I looked
at thumbnails (in nautilus) at first I thought that the circles are part
of the flame (you know, when part of a flame separates from the rest and
flow upwards) which I thought was great idea, but actually seeing that
it is more or less plain circles sort of disappointed me.

Just my 2 cents,
Martin

Old 03-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Quoting Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 00:15 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > Incorporating the idea originally from Shoowa theme, I added a subtle
> > effects on Wave theme background to represent the number of day where
> > nothing means Sunday, one small round is Monday and more. I have used a
> > vaccum on some svg which caused a funny effects.
> >
> > Note: the file is really huge (46 MB) so I have tarred them instead of
> > putting each image separately.
> >
> > Luya
> >
> > Ref:
> > http://luya.fedorapeople.org/packages/wave_theme.tar.bz2
> >
> Hi,
>
> the funny effects you talk about is the missing sulphur stone in some of
> the images, or is it intentional? However, opening the affected SVGs in
> inkscape results in correct image, so exporting to PNG should work OK.

Not intentional. I have saved the fine in plain SVG and used vaccum which leads
to that unexpected result.

> Next, it is a real huge set of wallpapers and unless we could do some
> kind of diffs between the wallpapers it is far to much for being default
> wallpaper set (at least for Live CDs), IMHO.

Yes, I have not got time to downsampling them.

> I also noticed the PNGs included are not sharp. How did you get them
> from the SVGs? Direct export from SVG (in inkscape) does not show this
> rather low quality rendering.

I have used ImageMagick convert function.

> And now to the general idea. I am not opposed to the idea itself, also
> representing Sunday as 0 is interesting, since it is start of the week
> for some countries, while Monday (in your counting number 1) in another
> ones But, I don't like very much how it is implemented. When I looked
> at thumbnails (in nautilus) at first I thought that the circles are part
> of the flame (you know, when part of a flame separates from the rest and
> flow upwards) which I thought was great idea, but actually seeing that
> it is more or less plain circles sort of disappointed me.

The concept is not fully complete hence the reason to get the svg version
available for edit.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project contributor

Old 03-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Ian Weller

I also noticed the PNGs included are not sharp. How did you get them
from the SVGs? Direct export from SVG (in inkscape) does not show this
rather low quality rendering.

I have used ImageMagick convert function.

There is a way to use the command line to export PNGs from inkscape.
Type inkscape --help at a command line for more details. -- ian