Old 03-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Tim

Default Root shell terminates after first keystroke

Tonight, for no apparent reason, a problem has started cropping up when
I 'sudo su'. The root shell will start up fine, but after the first time
I hit a key, the shell terminates - apparently normally. A sample try
looks like this (I begin to type "emerge", with little success):

tim@wozniak ~ $ sudo su
wozniak tim # eexit
tim@wozniak ~ $

This occurs no matter how long I wait before hitting a key. Using 'su'
without the preceding 'sudo' will let me into a normal root shell
without the problem occurring. The problem also occurs only in Konsole,
not at a tty. I should mention, based on this, that I'm running KDE4.
How might I go about fixing this?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Tim

Eric Martin wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> Tonight, for no apparent reason, a problem has started cropping up when
>> I 'sudo su'. The root shell will start up fine, but after the first time
>> I hit a key, the shell terminates - apparently normally. A sample try
>> looks like this (I begin to type "emerge", with little success):
>
>> tim@wozniak ~ $ sudo su
>> wozniak tim # eexit
>> tim@wozniak ~ $
>
>> This occurs no matter how long I wait before hitting a key. Using 'su'
>> without the preceding 'sudo' will let me into a normal root shell
>> without the problem occurring. The problem also occurs only in Konsole,
>> not at a tty. I should mention, based on this, that I'm running KDE4.
>> How might I go about fixing this?
> Dumb question, why are you exec'ing /sudo su/? Why not just /su/ or /su
> -/ or /sudo/ ?

I figured out how to execute 'sudo su' without a password before I
figured out how to do the same with 'su'. I use sudo on a regular basis
(e.g. sudo emerge -avu world) without trouble, including after this
problem started, and su works too, it just adds the hassle of typing a
root password.

I know, I know, my laziness is winning out over proper security, shame
on me.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Eric Martin