Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

Default External hard disk doesn't mount on boot

Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
machine. I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
/dev/sda1. Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and mount
the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount tries to
mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.

How could I resolve this?

Thanks
--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
> machine. I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
> Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
> /dev/sda1. Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and
> mount the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount
> tries to mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.
>
> How could I resolve this?

The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
googling.

The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start

:-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> > Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
> > machine. I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
> > Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
> > /dev/sda1. Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and
> > mount the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount
> > tries to mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.
> >
> > How could I resolve this?
>
> The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
> as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
> googling.
>
> The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
> to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
>
> :-)
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

I'll look into the canonical and implement the hackish. Thanks for
the help, I'll report back when I can.

Cheers

--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net

Old 03-20-2008, 04:22 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> > Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
> > machine. I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
> > Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
> > /dev/sda1. Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and
> > mount the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount
> > tries to mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.
> >
> > How could I resolve this?
>
> The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
> as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
> googling.
>
> The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
> to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
>
> :-)
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

http://gentoo-wiki.com/UDEV

Am I on the right track here?

--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net

Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Cowsill wrote:
> > > Right, so I have an external USB hard drive always hooked up to my
> > > machine. I've a listing in /etc/fstab to mount it at boot.
> > > Unfortunately, the drive does not boot because localmount can't find
> > > /dev/sda1. Now, after the boot process I can find /dev/sda1 and
> > > mount the drive just fine, leading me to believe that localmount
> > > tries to mount the drive without populating /dev with USB devices.
> > >
> > > How could I resolve this?
> >
> > The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
> > as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
> > googling.
> >
> > The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
> > to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
> >
> > :-)
> >

> > --
> > Alan McKinnon
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
> >
> > --

Okay, so I wrote a new rule into rules.d that goes like this:

KERNEL=="sda", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /home/dcowsill/usb"

Now, this works (sort of). If I were to run udevstart, udev would
happily execute mount on the usb drive and all would be well. If the
system is restarted or the device is plugged in, no joy.

So why is this only executing when I use udevstart?

--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net

Old 03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
> > > as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
> > > googling.
> > >
> > > The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
> > > to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
> > >
> > > :-)
> > >

> > > --
> > > Alan McKinnon
> > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> Okay, so I wrote a new rule into rules.d that goes like this:
>
> KERNEL=="sda", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /home/dcowsill/usb"
>
> Now, this works (sort of). If I were to run udevstart, udev would
> happily execute mount on the usb drive and all would be well. If the
> system is restarted or the device is plugged in, no joy.
>
> So why is this only executing when I use udevstart?

Good work Dan. I'll save this thread for future reference.

As someone who has used lots of external drives in the past you might
want to do your mount by label or some sort of drive specific UUID and
not by /dev/sda1. What can happen over time is that you'll add a
second drive and because USB or 1394 often do device discovery order
by which drive spins up first two identical drives will come up in
random orders which switches your mounting around strangely.

I've had good luck just mounting by label without using udev but I've
wanted to figure this out. You've given me a nice start. thanks.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The canonical way is of course to use udev to run a mount script as soon
> > > as the usb drive's device is created. This is hard and requires much
> > > googling.
> > >
> > > The hackish, kludgy, totally not recommended method that always works is
> > > to put a call to 'mount -a' in /etc/local.d/local.start
> > >
> > > :-)
> > >

> > > --
> > > Alan McKinnon
> > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> Okay, so I wrote a new rule into rules.d that goes like this:
>
> KERNEL=="sda", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /home/dcowsill/usb"
>
> Now, this works (sort of). If I were to run udevstart, udev would
> happily execute mount on the usb drive and all would be well. If the
> system is restarted or the device is plugged in, no joy.
>
> So why is this only executing when I use udevstart?
>

> --
> Dan Cowsill
> http://www.danthehat.net

Yeh, I wasn't being specific enough with my rule. This rule (revised)
works perfectly:

KERNEL=="sda1", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /home/dcowsill/usb"

Thanks Alan, for putting me on the right track. Also, much
appreciation goes to Greg Kroah-Hartman, who wrote udevtest!

Cheers
--
Dan Cowsill
http://www.danthehat.net

Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
"Dan Cowsill"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Okay, so I wrote a new rule into rules.d that goes like this:
> >
> > KERNEL=="sda", RUN+="/bin/mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /home/dcowsill/usb"
> >
> > Now, this works (sort of). If I were to run udevstart, udev would
> > happily execute mount on the usb drive and all would be well. If the
> > system is restarted or the device is plugged in, no joy.
> >
> > So why is this only executing when I use udevstart?
> >
> Good work Dan. I'll save this thread for future reference.
>
> As someone who has used lots of external drives in the past you might
> want to do your mount by label or some sort of drive specific UUID and
> not by /dev/sda1. What can happen over time is that you'll add a
> second drive and because USB or 1394 often do device discovery order
> by which drive spins up first two identical drives will come up in
> random orders which switches your mounting around strangely.
>
> I've had good luck just mounting by label without using udev but I've
> wanted to figure this out. You've given me a nice start. thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Yeh, I only opted for matching the kernel name of the device because
the headless server I'm working on very likely will never encounter a
new USB device. But the rule would be more robust.

Glad I could help.

Cheers

--
Dan Cowsill