Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Florian Philipp

Default iTunes with Gentoo?

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 10:11 -0700, Joshua D Doll wrote:
> Michael Schmarck wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Sorry for being somewhat Off Topic, but could you guys please tell
> > me if it's possible to use iTunes with wine-0.9.57 under a ~x86
> > system? Is it possible to change the store location to something
> > other than US (as that's required to buy songs, as far as I know)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Michael
> >

> iTunes works pretty well, running on a VM of windows. I run windows XP
> with VMWare Workstation and have iTunes installed to sync my iPod,
> because no OSS solutions handle m4a very well :-(.
>
> --Joshua Doll

But you have no way to burn an audio-cd from it and thus get rid of drm,
right?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 20:00 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 10:11 -0700, Joshua D Doll wrote:

> > iTunes works pretty well, running on a VM of windows. I run windows XP
> > with VMWare Workstation and have iTunes installed to sync my iPod,
> > because no OSS solutions handle m4a very well :-(.
> >
> > --Joshua Doll
>
> But you have no way to burn an audio-cd from it and thus get rid of drm,
> right?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/22/dvd_jon_unlocks_itunes_locked/

Pecor's Health-Food Principle:
Never eat rutabaga on any day of the week that has a "y" in it.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Jesús Guerrero

According to the winedb, as of wine 0.9.57, iTunes works ok under wine,
store services included. I haven't tested it myself, since I am not a
fan of iTunes.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10543
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es>

Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Joshua D Doll

Florian Philipp wrote:

Sorry for being somewhat Off Topic, but could you guys please tell
me if it's possible to use iTunes with wine-0.9.57 under a ~x86
system? Is it possible to change the store location to something
other than US (as that's required to buy songs, as far as I know)?

Thanks,

Michael

iTunes works pretty well, running on a VM of windows. I run windows XP
with VMWare Workstation and have iTunes installed to sync my iPod,
because no OSS solutions handle m4a very well :-(.

--Joshua Doll

But you have no way to burn an audio-cd from it and thus get rid of drm,
right?

I've burned a copy of CDs from within the VM, but not using iTunes. I
personally don't have very many DRM'd music, like I said I just use it
to transfer m4a (apple lossless which is not DRM'd) files to my iPod.

--Joshua Doll

Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Florian Philipp

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 17:39 -0700, Joshua D Doll wrote:
> Florian Philipp wrote:

> >> iTunes works pretty well, running on a VM of windows. I run windows XP
> >> with VMWare Workstation and have iTunes installed to sync my iPod,
> >> because no OSS solutions handle m4a very well :-(.
> >>
> >> --Joshua Doll
> >>

> > But you have no way to burn an audio-cd from it and thus get rid of drm,
> > right?
> >

> I've burned a copy of CDs from within the VM, but not using iTunes. I
> personally don't have very many DRM'd music, like I said I just use it
> to transfer m4a (apple lossless which is not DRM'd) files to my iPod.
>

> --Joshua Doll

Oh, that interests me: Which VM enables you to actually burn CDs? I
tried Qemu once and were told at that time that there is no VM with
CD-burning functionality.

Did you actually burn it from within the VM, e.g. having that much
control over your hardware or did you create an image you later burned
with native linux tools?