FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 AM
"John J. Foster"
 
Default I've hosed portage

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:29:57AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:31:29 -0600, John J. Foster wrote:
>
> > This was installed in an empty VM and it would be real slow to recompile
> > all of Gentoo. There has to be a way to fix it.
>
> You could unpack a stage 3 tarball to a temporary location then copy the
> portage files over. If you have portage-utils or equery installed and
> working, you could use qlist or equery to generate a list of files to
> copy.
>
> Alternatively, as you are using VMs, begin a basic stage 3 install in a
> new VM, as far as being able to quickpkg portage, then unpack the tarball
> in the root of the broken VM.
>
Thanks so much Neil, option #1 worked just fine, followed by a
emerge -auvDN world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

I think what I did wrong in following the instuctions for repairing portage
as described at

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml

was that I blindly just copied and pasted, thereby bringing in a way old
version. I'm not sure, though (probably more because of too much Patron).
But it didn't work.

Thanks so much for your help!

festus
 
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default I've hosed portage

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:51:05 -0600, John J. Foster wrote:

> > You could unpack a stage 3 tarball to a temporary location then copy
> > the portage files over. If you have portage-utils or equery installed
> > and working, you could use qlist or equery to generate a list of
> > files to copy.

> Thanks so much Neil, option #1 worked just fine, followed by a
> emerge -auvDN world
> emerge --depclean
> revdep-rebuild

You should also re-emerge postage, so the package database is in sync
with the files you have on your disk.


--
Neil Bothwick

Success is making it to the top of the food chain!
 
Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
"John J. Foster"
 
Default I've hosed portage

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:05:54AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:51:05 -0600, John J. Foster wrote:
>
> > > You could unpack a stage 3 tarball to a temporary location then copy
> > > the portage files over. If you have portage-utils or equery installed
> > > and working, you could use qlist or equery to generate a list of
> > > files to copy.
>
> > Thanks so much Neil, option #1 worked just fine, followed by a
> > emerge -auvDN world
> > emerge --depclean
> > revdep-rebuild
>
> You should also re-emerge postage, so the package database is in sync
> with the files you have on your disk.
>

Done, thanks

festus
--
"I just want to break even."
Richard Manuel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org