Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Grant

Default {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?

A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?

- Grant

Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore.**I was hoping it was
the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
problem.**Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs

replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
Have you tried to reset your BIOS? I would certainly try that before changing my MOBO.
--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)

Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
Cell: +55 (19) 8128-0435
Skype: ricardo_saffi_marques
Website: http://www.rsaffi.com

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Grant

> > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
> > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
> > problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
> > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
>
> Have you tried to reset your BIOS? I would certainly try that before
> changing my MOBO.

Do you mean battery out and back in?

- Grant

Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

Battery out, short-circuit it's contacts on the mobo while pressing the power button and then put it back and try to turn it on. But that is the raw way to do that, hahaha.

The idea is for you to change the jumper located the closest to the battery, press power, change it back to it's original place and then power up again.
Just a classic BIOS reset.

Regards,

Saffi

Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 06:41:52 -0700, Grant wrote:

> A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
> the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
> problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
> replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?

Try the power supplies in a different computer.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows, the most installed system in the world, I know, I've done it
15 or 16 times myself.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 19. März 2008, Ricardo Saffi Marques wrote:
> 3/19/08, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you mean battery out and back in?
>
> Battery out, short-circuit it's contacts on the mobo while pressing the
> power button and then put it back and try to turn it on. But that is the
> raw way to do that, hahaha.

this is a very certain way to destroy the mobo.

> The idea is for you to change the jumper located the closest to the
> battery, press power, change it back to it's original place and then power
> up again. Just a classic BIOS reset.

no.

Don't press power. Don't even get close to power. Just set the jumper, wait
some seconds, set it back to 'work state' and boot.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Joe Menola

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 8:41:52 am Grant wrote:
> A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
> the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
> problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
> replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
>
> - Grant

Quite possibly your cpu and/or cooling fan. To test this...pull your current
units out, hook-up a known good fan (without any cpu) and apply power.
If the fan spins, you've isolated your problem.

-jm

Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

this is a very certain way to destroy the mobo.
I don't know how this is in newer mobos, but I have certainly seen ppl doing that without any problem.*

no.
Don't press power. Don't even get close to power. Just set the jumper, wait
some seconds, set it back to 'work state' and boot.
Well I'm not here to get into silly discussions. Even because I haven't done that in a while. If you say so, I strongly advice Grant to do as you say.

Sorry for any bad info.

Regards,

Saffi

Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

every mobo manual I ever read (and I read a lot) said the same: set the jumper
and don't turn on the box. Never turn on the box with the jumper set, or
mainboard might be destroyed/rendered unbootable.