Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Grant Edwards

Default NEURAL NET SOFTWARE

On 2008-03-18, Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> No, afraid not.
>>>
>>> But I do know a good howto that tells you where the Caps Lock key is and
>>> how to press it.
>>
>> Maybe he didn't spend the extra money for the lowercase option
>> on his ADM3 terminal...

I got a bit curious and found this web page:

http://www.decodesystems.com/lsi-adm3-kit.html

I used quite a few of those terminals when I was in Univeristy.
They didn't have a microprocessor: just a big board chock-full
of 7400-series ttl logic and a 40-pin UART over in the corner.

It must have been later that the ADM3a came out with lower-case
support. That was plush (though a bit ugly, since I think it
was still 5x7 without descenders).

There are some better ADM3 pictures at

http://www.thepcmuseum.net/hardware.php

The ones I remember were the smaller without the numeric keypad
(with the little brightness knob above the keyboard on the
right-hand side). Except we had really ugly light-blue ones...

--
Grant

Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Grant Edwards

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Jerry McBride

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 08:08:22 am Gavin Seddon wrote:
> HI DOES ANYONE KNOW OF GOOD TRAINABLE NN SOFTWARE ON PORTAGE?

Hi Gavin,

What would you do with a neural net? You've got me interested.

For a long time now, I've been wanting to write a "smart" piece of software
that would take in answers to a bunch of questions and generate some sort of
diagnosis. It would be used to aid repair tech's in diagnosis hardware
failure. Something to refer to, perhaps to get some training from it also.

Is that what you've got in mind?

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride

Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Selon Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@terra.es>:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:08:22 +0000
> Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > HI DOES ANYONE KNOW OF GOOD TRAINABLE NN SOFTWARE ON PORTAGE?
> > --
> >
> Sure,
>
> sci-mathematics/fann
> sci-mathematics/snns

SNNS (let me shout) is a great piece of software, not really supported by gentoo
any more, as the version in portage is considered obsolete: it has been
superseded by java-nns for 2/3 years, with a far shinier GI and new functions. I
use Java-Neural-Network-Simulator 1.1 which compile and works on amd64 without a
glitch.

--
~adj~

Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 AM

Selon Uwe Thiem <uwix@iway.na>:

> On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > HI DOES ANYONE KNOW OF GOOD TRAINABLE NN SOFTWARE ON PORTAGE?
>
> First of all, don't shout at us!
>
> AFAIK, snns is a very good OSS implementation - and it's in portage.

SNNS (sorry for shouting) is excellent.The only version in portage testing
(4.2.r7) is deprecated and has been replaced by JavaNNS for 3/4 years. Download
sources from
http://www.ra.cs.uni-tuebingen.de/downloads/JavaNNS/
compile and use. It works great on my Athlon X2 computer.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 AM

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM
"Henry Gebhardt"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM, <alain.didierjean@free.fr> wrote:

> SNNS (sorry for shouting) is excellent.The only version in portage testing
> (4.2.r7) is deprecated and has been replaced by JavaNNS for 3/4 years. Download
> sources from
> http://www.ra.cs.uni-tuebingen.de/downloads/JavaNNS/
> compile and use. It works great on my Athlon X2 computer.

sci-mathematics/javanns-1.1 is in the sunrise overlay available via
layman -a sunrise.

~Henry

Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 13:12:10 Gavin Seddon wrote:

> 'They' say sarcasm is the lowest form of whit.

No, no. You mean 'wit'. Not the same thing at all.

--
Rgds
Peter