FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Enrico Weigelt
 
Default expat upgrade, kdelibs: circular problem?

* brullo nulla <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I equeried dcopidl, and dcopidl belongs to kdelibs itself!
>
> What does it mean?

Simple: KDE folks still aren't confident with the concept of
modularity (even it's an standard pattern since about 50 years) ;-P

BTW: if libexpat.so.0 was there before the update and now isn't,
there's an major bug in expat (either the ebuild or the source).

I don't know if the Gentoo QM policies say that those bugs have to
be fixed or relying on the revdep-rebuild workaround is enough.
In the first case, you should file a bug. Otherwise could leave
it out to save yourself from personal rants ;-o


cu
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
http://patches.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Enrico Weigelt
 
Default expat upgrade, kdelibs: circular problem?

* brullo nulla <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I equeried dcopidl, and dcopidl belongs to kdelibs itself!
>
> What does it mean?

Simple: KDE folks still aren't confident with the concept of
modularity (even it's an standard pattern since about 50 years) ;-P

BTW: if libexpat.so.0 was there before the update and now isn't,
there's an major bug in expat (either the ebuild or the source).

I don't know if the Gentoo QM policies say that those bugs have to
be fixed or relying on the revdep-rebuild workaround is enough.
In the first case, you should file a bug. Otherwise could leave
it out to save yourself from personal rants ;-o


cu
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
http://patches.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Paul Varner
 
Default expat upgrade, kdelibs: circular problem?

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 19:29 +0100, brullo nulla wrote:
> > What output do you get from 'revdep-rebuild -p -i' ?
>
> Here it is:
>
> Evaluating package order...
> Warning: Failed to resolve package order.
> Will merge in "random" order!
> Possible reasons:
> - An ebuild is no longer in the portage tree.
> - An ebuild is masked, use /etc/portage/packages.keyword
> and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask to unmask it
> ..... done.
> (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

emerge =gentoolkit-0.2.4_rc3 and see what revdep-rebuild gives with that
version. Unfortunately, the --package-names in gentoolkit-0.2.3 doesn't
work correctly, which causes problems with rebuilding after the expat
upgrade.

Regards,
Paul
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default expat upgrade, kdelibs: circular problem?

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> BTW: if libexpat.so.0 was there before the update and now isn't,
> there's an major bug in expat (either the ebuild or the source).

There's no bug in expat, the OP is doing an *expat*upgrade*, which means
that libexpat.so.0 was there before and libexpat.so.1 is there now.
Thus any app that links explicitly to libexpat.so.0 is now broken.

A source based distro like Gentoo runs this risk with every library
upgrade and sometimes it hits a low level lib with deep dependencies
like expat. There are only two possible solutions to this:

1. Track the links between every app and every lib, and as soon as one
is detected with a lib upgrade then fire an event to trigger a
recompile of the linking app. This solution is so ugly, so error-prone
that I cannot suffer it to live.

2. Something like revdep-rebuild that scans the system looking for
errors and is triggered manually by the user.

Getting through these upgrades is a serious PITA. But at least on Gentoo
we can fix it. Imagine using a binary distro where the packager didn't
pick this up and you are left stranded with no easy way to fix it...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Enrico Weigelt
 
Default expat upgrade, kdelibs: circular problem?

* Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > BTW: if libexpat.so.0 was there before the update and now isn't,
> > there's an major bug in expat (either the ebuild or the source).
>
> There's no bug in expat, the OP is doing an *expat*upgrade*, which
> means that libexpat.so.0 was there before and libexpat.so.1 is there
> now. Thus any app that links explicitly to libexpat.so.0 is now broken.

If an upgrade breaks primary things, it's simply broken.
You can now choose, whether the bug is expat or the ebuild/portage.

> 2. Something like revdep-rebuild that scans the system looking for
> errors and is triggered manually by the user.

This is also ugly and error-prone. After every slightest upgrade
you have to fear nothing's running anymore and everything has to be
rebuilt first. If downtimes don't matter, fine. But for critical
systems, this is very dangerous.

Why not modeling/storing the *runtime* dependencies and doing
an *clean* MVCC ? Isn't this what slotting was meant for ? ;-P

> Imagine using a binary distro where the packager didn't
> pick this up and you are left stranded with no easy way to fix it...

Then the package manager's obviously broken ...


cu
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
http://patches.metux.de/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 PM
"brullo nulla"
 
Default expat upgrade, kdelibs: circular problem?

Ok, you all can stop ranting about ebuilds etc. being broken.

I found the culprit, it seems something wrong in the kdelibs building.
Basically, when kdelibs builds dcopidl, it happily *says* "oh, this
would need libXft, that in turn has a broken link to libexpat.so.0.
But who cares, let's go along with it!" instead of stopping and
telling me that libXft is broken.

I have no more the relevant compilation output snippet, but that's the
meaning. So, I just emerged libXft, fixing the expat link, and
everything went pretty smooth.

Now I have the problem that Thunderbird starts, but no window comes
out, but it's a different stuff...

m.
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org