Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Adam Carter

Default Migrating from single disk to software raid1

Sanity check please gurus
I've installed the new disks, partitioned them and created the md
devices, which are now syncing. The kernel already has all the modules
built in. I believe the next steps are;
1 mkfs the md devices
2 copy the partitions from the current disk to the mirror
3 edit fstab on the mirror
4 install mbr on both submirror disks
5 halt the box
6 set the bios boot order to the two sub mirrors
7 boot from mirror

Is that incorrect or incomplete? Do I need to be concerned about disk
devices being renamed when the original disk is removed?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 29.09.2011 11:00, schrieb Adam Carter:
> Sanity check please gurus
> I've installed the new disks, partitioned them and created the md
> devices, which are now syncing. The kernel already has all the modules
> built in. I believe the next steps are;
> 1 mkfs the md devices
> 2 copy the partitions from the current disk to the mirror
> 3 edit fstab on the mirror
> 4 install mbr on both submirror disks
> 5 halt the box
> 6 set the bios boot order to the two sub mirrors
> 7 boot from mirror
>
> Is that incorrect or incomplete? Do I need to be concerned about disk
> devices being renamed when the original disk is removed?

Is /boot a partition on top of the md device? If it is, you should make
sure to use the --metadata=0.90 when creating the md devices. If it is a
separate md device, this should not be necessary.

If you run into issues concerning the renaming, you can try to specify
the md devices explicitly with the kernel parameter 'raid=noautodetect
md=0,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1'

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Thu 29 Sep 2011 05:02:40 PM IST, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 29.09.2011 11:00, schrieb Adam Carter:
>> Sanity check please gurus
>> I've installed the new disks, partitioned them and created the md
>> devices, which are now syncing. The kernel already has all the modules
>> built in. I believe the next steps are;
>> 1 mkfs the md devices
>> 2 copy the partitions from the current disk to the mirror
>> 3 edit fstab on the mirror
>> 4 install mbr on both submirror disks
>> 5 halt the box
>> 6 set the bios boot order to the two sub mirrors
>> 7 boot from mirror
>>
>> Is that incorrect or incomplete? Do I need to be concerned about disk
>> devices being renamed when the original disk is removed?
>>

> Is /boot a partition on top of the md device? If it is, you should make
> sure to use the --metadata=0.90 when creating the md devices. If it is a
> separate md device, this should not be necessary.
>
> If you run into issues concerning the renaming, you can try to specify
> the md devices explicitly with the kernel parameter 'raid=noautodetect
> md=0,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1'
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

A big thing I learnt while configuring raid on a new server (well, you
can't see the kernel boot up messages, so one single misconfiguration
and it's a nightmare!) with Gentoo.
What I did was, disabled kernel based automatic raid detection and
didn't add an initrd with the required modules (md ones).
So, make sure that raid support and automatic detection and any other
disk related modules are compiled right into the kernel. In fact, I
prefer w/o any initrd, all critical stuff right into the kernel.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com