Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Tamer Higazi

Default no sound with pulseaudio

Am 29.09.2011 00:09, schrieb Mick:
> On Wednesday 28 Sep 2011 22:49:06 Tamer Higazi wrote:
>> Am 28.09.2011 23:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

>>> What music player are you using? Did you set or modify ~/.asoundrc?
>>
>> ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.
>>
>> I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:
>>

>> pcm.pulse {
>> type pulse
>> }
>>
>> ctl.pulse {
>> type pulse
>> }
>

> The link you provided also shows:
> ================================
> [snip ...]
>
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }
> ================================
>
> Why did you leave these out of your /etc/asound.conf

Because Flash player didn't work in the past. When flash started, it
blocked the output of all other things among.

Tamer

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Tamer Higazi

Am 29.09.2011 00:03, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> What music player are you using? Did you set or modify ~/.asoundrc?
>>
>> ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.
>>
>> I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:
>>

>> pcm.pulse {
>> type pulse
>> }
>>
>> ctl.pulse {
>> type pulse
>> }
>>
>> for all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse!
>
> Mmmh. It's not exactly like that: If you use pcm.pulse and ctl.pulse,
> then you need to specify pulse as the virtual ALSA device. If you want
> "all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse", you need:
>
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
>> The players Rhythmbox, xine all with pulseaudio default output plugins.
>
> That should work. Did you check in sound settings that pulse is indeed
> the desired output
>
>>> What Desktop do you use?
>>
>> Gnome, latest 2.x version
>>
>> Is the pulseaudio daemon running?
>>
>> Yes!
>>
>> tamer@office ~ $ pstree -pu | grep puls
>>
>> |-pulseaudio(22833,tamer)-+-gconf-helper(22840)---{gconf-helper}(22841)
>> | |-{pulseaudio}(22839)
>> | `-{pulseaudio}(22842)
>
> Looks OK.
>
>> I have added all config files in "/etc/pulse/"
>
> I wouldn't touch the files on /etc/pulse. I recommend first trying to
> make it work with the files included with pulseaudio (backup
> /etc/pulse, move the dir out of /etc and emerge again pulseaudio)
> before trying anything else. Supposedly, pulseaudio should "just
> works". Since the first time I installed it I have never touched the
> files in /etc/pulse, except to change the log-level of the daemon.

As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.

No sound!

> I'm on GNOME 3, so things are a little different, and I don't remember
> exactly the dialogs, but instead of the Gentoo wiki page, I would
> follow this:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>
> And more specifically:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GNOME
>
> and
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GStreamerApplications
>
> Also, in really weird cases, the ALSA device gets its volume muted:
> You can try to remove (back up first) /etc/asound.conf, and run (as
> root)
>
> alsamixer -V all

I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!

> and trying to unmute and turn up the volume on everything. When you
> hear something with any player, return the asound.conf to /etc and try
> again.
>
> Regards.

I have the dumb feeling that one process is blocking the output, I hear
in my headphones the white noise of my system, which wouldn't be there
if the soundcard hadn't been initialised.

Is there a way to find out which applications might make use of the
soundcard right now?!

Tamer

Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 29.09.2011 00:03, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

>>> ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.
>>>
>>> I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:
>>>

>>> pcm.pulse {
>>> * *type pulse
>>> }
>>>
>>> ctl.pulse {
>>> * *type pulse
>>> }
>>>
>>> for all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse!
>>
>> Mmmh. It's not exactly like that: If you use pcm.pulse and ctl.pulse,
>> then you need to specify pulse as the virtual ALSA device. If you want
>> "all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse", you need:
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> * * type pulse
>> }
>>
>> ctl.!default {
>> * * type pulse
>> }
>>
>>> The players Rhythmbox, xine all with pulseaudio default output plugins.
>>
>> That should work. Did you check in sound settings that pulse is indeed
>> the desired output

>>> Gnome, latest 2.x version
>>>
>>> *Is the pulseaudio daemon running?
>>>
>>> Yes!
>>>
>>> tamer@office ~ $ pstree -pu | grep puls
>>>
>>> |-pulseaudio(22833,tamer)-+-gconf-helper(22840)---{gconf-helper}(22841)
>>> * * * *| * * * * * * * * * * * * |-{pulseaudio}(22839)
>>> * * * *| * * * * * * * * * * * * `-{pulseaudio}(22842)
>>
>> Looks OK.
>>
>>> I have added all config files in "/etc/pulse/"
>>
>> I wouldn't touch the files on /etc/pulse. I recommend first trying to
>> make it work with the files included with pulseaudio (backup
>> /etc/pulse, move the dir out of /etc and emerge again pulseaudio)
>> before trying anything else. Supposedly, pulseaudio should "just
>> works". Since the first time I installed it I have never touched the
>> files in /etc/pulse, except to change the log-level of the daemon.
>>
> As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
> pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.
>
> No sound!

Weird.

>> I'm on GNOME 3, so things are a little different, and I don't remember
>> exactly the dialogs, but instead of the Gentoo wiki page, I would
>> follow this:
>>
>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>>
>> And more specifically:
>>
>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GNOME
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GStreamerApplications
>>
>> Also, in really weird cases, the ALSA device gets its volume muted:
>> You can try to remove (back up first) /etc/asound.conf, and run (as
>> root)
>>
>> alsamixer -V all
>
> I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!

Really weird.

>> and trying to unmute and turn up the volume on everything. When you
>> hear something with any player, return the asound.conf to /etc and try
>> again.
>>
>> Regards.
>
> I have the dumb feeling that one process is blocking the output, I hear
> in my headphones the white noise of my system, which wouldn't be there
> if the soundcard hadn't been initialised.

It's more simple than that: if you see the bars movind in the mixer
application, some sound should be made.

> Is there a way to find out which applications might make use of the
> soundcard right now?!

Probably with strace or a similar tool; however, let me see first if
I'm understanding the problem. This is a laptop? If so, the sound
works without headphones? The internal speakers work?

Also, can you please post the output of "pactl list"?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Mmmh. It's not exactly like that: If you use pcm.pulse and ctl.pulse,
>>> then you need to specify pulse as the virtual ALSA device. If you want
>>> "all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse", you need:
>>>
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> * * type pulse
>>> }
>>>
>>> ctl.!default {
>>> * * type pulse
>>> }

>>> That should work. Did you check in sound settings that pulse is indeed
>>> the desired output

>>> Looks OK.

>>> I wouldn't touch the files on /etc/pulse. I recommend first trying to
>>> make it work with the files included with pulseaudio (backup
>>> /etc/pulse, move the dir out of /etc and emerge again pulseaudio)
>>> before trying anything else. Supposedly, pulseaudio should "just
>>> works". Since the first time I installed it I have never touched the
>>> files in /etc/pulse, except to change the log-level of the daemon.
>>>
>> As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
>> pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.
>>
>> No sound!
>
> Weird.
>
>>> I'm on GNOME 3, so things are a little different, and I don't remember
>>> exactly the dialogs, but instead of the Gentoo wiki page, I would
>>> follow this:
>>>
>>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>>>
>>> And more specifically:
>>>
>>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GNOME
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GStreamerApplications
>>>
>>> Also, in really weird cases, the ALSA device gets its volume muted:
>>> You can try to remove (back up first) /etc/asound.conf, and run (as
>>> root)
>>>
>>> alsamixer -V all
>>
>> I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!

Also, in alsamixer not only set the bars up: make sure the control is
not muted (it has an "M" at the bottom if muted). You can mute/unmute
pressing the letter 'm'.

Regards.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Tamer Higazi

Am 29.09.2011 01:27, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Mmmh. It's not exactly like that: If you use pcm.pulse and ctl.pulse,
>>> then you need to specify pulse as the virtual ALSA device. If you want
>>> "all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse", you need:
>>>
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> type pulse
>>> }
>>>
>>> ctl.!default {
>>> type pulse
>>> }

>>> That should work. Did you check in sound settings that pulse is indeed
>>> the desired output

>>> Looks OK.

>>> I wouldn't touch the files on /etc/pulse. I recommend first trying to
>>> make it work with the files included with pulseaudio (backup
>>> /etc/pulse, move the dir out of /etc and emerge again pulseaudio)
>>> before trying anything else. Supposedly, pulseaudio should "just
>>> works". Since the first time I installed it I have never touched the
>>> files in /etc/pulse, except to change the log-level of the daemon.
>>>
>> As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
>> pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.
>>
>> No sound!
>
> Weird.
>
>>> I'm on GNOME 3, so things are a little different, and I don't remember
>>> exactly the dialogs, but instead of the Gentoo wiki page, I would
>>> follow this:
>>>
>>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>>>
>>> And more specifically:
>>>
>>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GNOME
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GStreamerApplications
>>>
>>> Also, in really weird cases, the ALSA device gets its volume muted:
>>> You can try to remove (back up first) /etc/asound.conf, and run (as
>>> root)
>>>
>>> alsamixer -V all
>>
>> I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!
>
> Really weird.
>
>>> and trying to unmute and turn up the volume on everything. When you
>>> hear something with any player, return the asound.conf to /etc and try
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>
>> I have the dumb feeling that one process is blocking the output, I hear
>> in my headphones the white noise of my system, which wouldn't be there
>> if the soundcard hadn't been initialised.
>
> It's more simple than that: if you see the bars movind in the mixer
> application, some sound should be made.
>
>> Is there a way to find out which applications might make use of the
>> soundcard right now?!
>
> Probably with strace or a similar tool; however, let me see first if
> I'm understanding the problem. This is a laptop?

A usual tower machine! Core2 DUO, nothing's special!

If so, the sound
> works without headphones? The internal speakers work?

with the headphones all the time....

There are no internal speakers (not a notebook)

> Also, can you please post the output of "pactl list"?
Yes of course, here it is:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wDgy3x64

> Regards.

thanks

Tamer

Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Tamer Higazi

Am 29.09.2011 01:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
>>> pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.
>>>
>>> No sound!
>>
>> Weird.

>>> I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!
>
> Also, in alsamixer not only set the bars up: make sure the control is
> not muted (it has an "M" at the bottom if muted). You can mute/unmute
> pressing the letter 'm'.

I double checked, not all UNMUTED!

and as I have raised all the bars the white sound become more WHITER,
but no playback sound for anything, if you get what I try to say....

> Regards.

thx

Tamer

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Tamer Higazi

Am 29.09.2011 01:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As requested, I moved the pulse folder somewhere else and remerged
>>> pulseaudio as well moved /etc/asound.conf somewhere else as well.
>>>
>>> No sound!
>>
>> Weird.

>>> I did, and fired all the bars up. nothing! really nothing!
>
> Also, in alsamixer not only set the bars up: make sure the control is
> not muted (it has an "M" at the bottom if muted). You can mute/unmute
> pressing the letter 'm'.
>
> Regards.

I opened the browser, and I hear music!!!! WOW!!! but the pulsemeter
playback is death. It does, but not through pulseaudio

so with alsa directly we have sound, but not with pulseaudio

Tamer

Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

I think I see the problem: the sound is getting through the digital output, not the analog one (near the end of pactl output). You need to set the analog output: pactl man page will tell you how (sorry, left the laptop at the office and I'm writing this on my phone). It's also possible to do it with gnome-sound-settings, in the hardware tab (if I remember correctly).

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 AM
"Spidey / Claudio"

pavucontrol is your friend. It lets you configure your sound devices
current profile, and also set the fallback (default) sink.

Claudio Roberto França Pereira (a.k.a. Spidey)
hardMOB - HTForum - @spideybr
Engenharia de Computação - UFES 2006/1

Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM
"Spidey / Claudio"

Also, if flash didn't work previously, that's because it was not using
PA (or alsa default device), it was hardcoded to use alsa device hw0,
so they "forcefully" used to use ALSA. Since PA has control over the
sound device (since PA is the mixer, not ALSA), flash couldn't use it,
thus no sound.

I reaffirm, you should use all 4 blocks of configuration in your
asound.conf. It will "create" the PA virtual device and also set it as
default for the system. This way, ALSA software will output to PA too.