FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Tamer Higazi
 
Default no sound with pulseaudio

Am 28.09.2011 23:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I have configured pulseaudio according
>>
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
>>
>>
>> but I simply have no sound.
>>
>> The pulseaudio playback volume meter shows me signal, and that the bars
>> are jumping if I playback a music track.
>>
>> alsa-plugins (with pulseaudio USE flag)
>> gst-plugins-pulse
>>
>> are installed. But I don't know what is being blocked, that I have no
>> sound output at my headphones.
>>
>> PS: the headphones are ok.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> What music player are you using? Did you set or modify ~/.asoundrc?

~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.

I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:


pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}

for all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse!


The players Rhythmbox, xine all with pulseaudio default output plugins.

> What Desktop do you use?

Gnome, latest 2.x version

Is the pulseaudio daemon running?

Yes!

tamer@office ~ $ pstree -pu | grep puls

|-pulseaudio(22833,tamer)-+-gconf-helper(22840)---{gconf-helper}(22841)
| |-{pulseaudio}(22839)
| `-{pulseaudio}(22842)


>
> Regards.

I have added all config files in "/etc/pulse/"

default.pa:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=gU7piwLf

client.conf:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=4nwt7Upz

system.pa:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=2uhRPEpP
 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés
 
Default no sound with pulseaudio

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 28.09.2011 23:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>> I have configured pulseaudio according
>>>
>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
>>>
>>>
>>> but I simply have no sound.
>>>
>>> The pulseaudio playback volume meter shows me signal, and that the bars
>>> are jumping if I playback a music track.
>>>
>>> alsa-plugins (with pulseaudio USE flag)
>>> gst-plugins-pulse
>>>
>>> are installed. But I don't know what is being blocked, that I have no
>>> sound output at my headphones.
>>>
>>> PS: the headphones are ok.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> What music player are you using? Did you set or modify ~/.asoundrc?
>
> ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.
>
> I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:
>
>
> pcm.pulse {
> * *type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.pulse {
> * *type pulse
> }
>
> for all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse!

Mmmh. It's not exactly like that: If you use pcm.pulse and ctl.pulse,
then you need to specify pulse as the virtual ALSA device. If you want
"all alsa applications to be redirected to pulse", you need:

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

> The players Rhythmbox, xine all with pulseaudio default output plugins.

That should work. Did you check in sound settings that pulse is indeed
the desired output

>> What Desktop do you use?
>
> Gnome, latest 2.x version
>
> *Is the pulseaudio daemon running?
>
> Yes!
>
> tamer@office ~ $ pstree -pu | grep puls
>
> |-pulseaudio(22833,tamer)-+-gconf-helper(22840)---{gconf-helper}(22841)
> * * * *| * * * * * * * * * * * * |-{pulseaudio}(22839)
> * * * *| * * * * * * * * * * * * `-{pulseaudio}(22842)

Looks OK.

> I have added all config files in "/etc/pulse/"

I wouldn't touch the files on /etc/pulse. I recommend first trying to
make it work with the files included with pulseaudio (backup
/etc/pulse, move the dir out of /etc and emerge again pulseaudio)
before trying anything else. Supposedly, pulseaudio should "just
works". Since the first time I installed it I have never touched the
files in /etc/pulse, except to change the log-level of the daemon.

I'm on GNOME 3, so things are a little different, and I don't remember
exactly the dialogs, but instead of the Gentoo wiki page, I would
follow this:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

And more specifically:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GNOME

and

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#GStreamerApplications

Also, in really weird cases, the ALSA device gets its volume muted:
You can try to remove (back up first) /etc/asound.conf, and run (as
root)

alsamixer -V all

and trying to unmute and turn up the volume on everything. When you
hear something with any player, return the asound.conf to /etc and try
again.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Mick
 
Default no sound with pulseaudio

On Wednesday 28 Sep 2011 22:49:06 Tamer Higazi wrote:
> Am 28.09.2011 23:28, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >> I have configured pulseaudio according
> >>
> >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio
> >>
> >>
> >> but I simply have no sound.
> >>
> >> The pulseaudio playback volume meter shows me signal, and that the bars
> >> are jumping if I playback a music track.
> >>
> >> alsa-plugins (with pulseaudio USE flag)
> >> gst-plugins-pulse
> >>
> >> are installed. But I don't know what is being blocked, that I have no
> >> sound output at my headphones.
> >>
> >> PS: the headphones are ok.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > What music player are you using? Did you set or modify ~/.asoundrc?
>
> ~/.asoundrc doesn't exist.
>
> I have /etc/asound.conf with these entries:
>
>
> pcm.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.pulse {
> type pulse
> }


The link you provided also shows:
================================
[snip ...]

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}
================================

Why did you leave these out of your /etc/asound.conf

--
Regards,
Mick
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org