Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Default Motherboard support?

I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T

These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L & 880GM-USB3

How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
1075T and Linux support is awesome?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan
<contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
>
> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L & 880GM-USB3

Key pieces will be the northbridge, southbridge and LAN. Audio support
will depend on the nature of the southbridge. Everything else on those
boards looks pretty standardized. (You should be able to use AHCI for
SATA, EHCI/XHCI for USB, UHCI for IEEE 1394...)

For all three boards:
North Bridge: AMD 880G
South Bridge: AMD SB710

The LAN chipset differs slightly:

Gigabyte 880GM - Realtek 8111D
GA 880GM-USB3L - Realtek 8111D/E
880GM-USB3 - Realtek 8111E

AFAIK, the Realtek 8111 series is the onboard version of their 8169
series. I've got an 8111C in my system at home, and it works fine. I
don't know about the D and E variants.

--
:wq

Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 28.09.2011 19:54, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
>
> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L & 880GM-USB3
>
> How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
> 1075T and Linux support is awesome?

I have got a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H after recommendations on this list.
The board is working perfectly fine.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 PM
masterprometheus

Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
>
> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L & 880GM-USB3

> How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
> 1075T and Linux support is awesome?

Neither 880G nor SB710 is a new chipset, so they should work out of the
box. But you may want to wait. Bulldozers will be out at October 12, and
their prices won't very different than Phenom II's. And FX-8120, expected
to be priced around $200 will be an 8-core, faster and better
overclocker.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Dale

Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T

These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L& 880GM-USB3

How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
1075T and Linux support is awesome?

I used this site to get this:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3

That's one of them and I think I saw another one from your list. May I
make a suggestion tho. It looks like those have a built in video
system, get a separate video card. Of all the video issues I have ever
had on Linux, it has been built in video cards. There are other good
reasons for this too, heat being one of them.

As to Gigabyte as a brand, I have a 770 based mobo and it works great.
It's worth every penny and then some. I have also had good luck with
Abit several years ago. I have installed on a MSI before too and it was
stable.

If you want to research other mobos, start here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

There are two ways to do this. If you have the mobo and can, paste the
output of lspci -n in the box. If you are researching and don't have
the mobo yet, click on the links on the left to see if the one you are
looking for is in the list. When researching a mobo, I find that site
invaluable to say the least.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On 09/29/2011 03:21 AM, masterprometheus wrote:
> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>
>> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
>> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
>>
>> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
>> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L & 880GM-USB3
>

>> How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
>> 1075T and Linux support is awesome?
>
> Neither 880G nor SB710 is a new chipset, so they should work out of the
> box. But you may want to wait. Bulldozers will be out at October 12, and
> their prices won't very different than Phenom II's. And FX-8120, expected
> to be priced around $200 will be an 8-core, faster and better
> overclocker.

Bulldozers coming out in October 12, I'll better wait then. It has much
better virt support.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On 09/29/2011 04:46 AM, Dale wrote:
> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
>> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
>>
>> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
>> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L& 880GM-USB3
>>
>> How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
>> 1075T and Linux support is awesome?
>>

> I used this site to get this:
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
>
> That's one of them and I think I saw another one from your list. May I
> make a suggestion tho. It looks like those have a built in video
> system, get a separate video card. Of all the video issues I have ever
> had on Linux, it has been built in video cards. There are other good
> reasons for this too, heat being one of them.
>
> As to Gigabyte as a brand, I have a 770 based mobo and it works great.
> It's worth every penny and then some. I have also had good luck with
> Abit several years ago. I have installed on a MSI before too and it was
> stable.
>
> If you want to research other mobos, start here:
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
>
> There are two ways to do this. If you have the mobo and can, paste the
> output of lspci -n in the box. If you are researching and don't have
> the mobo yet, click on the links on the left to see if the one you are
> looking for is in the list. When researching a mobo, I find that site
> invaluable to say the least.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

That's debian HCL, what about Gentoo? We compile the kernel ourselves man.
It would be better if we don't use debian/Ubuntu HCL to decide HW for
other distros, they're most popular ones and have lot of support from
hardware manufacturers, hence good support for hardware using
propreitary drivers which is seldom present in other distros.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Thu 29 Sep 2011 06:42:42 AM IST, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 09/29/2011 04:46 AM, Dale wrote:
>> Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>>> I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
>>> I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
>>>
>>> These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
>>> processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L& 880GM-USB3
>>>
>>> How good is Linux support with those? If bad, what other mobos support
>>> 1075T and Linux support is awesome?
>>>

>> I used this site to get this:
>>
>> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
>>
>> That's one of them and I think I saw another one from your list. May I
>> make a suggestion tho. It looks like those have a built in video
>> system, get a separate video card. Of all the video issues I have ever
>> had on Linux, it has been built in video cards. There are other good
>> reasons for this too, heat being one of them.
>>
>> As to Gigabyte as a brand, I have a 770 based mobo and it works great.
>> It's worth every penny and then some. I have also had good luck with
>> Abit several years ago. I have installed on a MSI before too and it was
>> stable.
>>
>> If you want to research other mobos, start here:
>>
>> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
>>
>> There are two ways to do this. If you have the mobo and can, paste the
>> output of lspci -n in the box. If you are researching and don't have
>> the mobo yet, click on the links on the left to see if the one you are
>> looking for is in the list. When researching a mobo, I find that site
>> invaluable to say the least.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>

> That's debian HCL, what about Gentoo? We compile the kernel ourselves man.
> It would be better if we don't use debian/Ubuntu HCL to decide HW for
> other distros, they're most popular ones and have lot of support from
> hardware manufacturers, hence good support for hardware using
> propreitary drivers which is seldom present in other distros.

I just checked that HCL:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Giga-byte/GA-880GM-USB3
It seems things are supported since linux-2.6.25, we're now using 3.0.4
and above. Should be OK right?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com