Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Harry

Default Kernel compiles ... monitoring

How can one tell how far along a kernel compile is? I can see the modules being
built in /var/log/genkernel.log
(Aside: Please, no hysteria about using genkernel)

But I'd like to know of some way to guesstimate how much of the process is
completed. Is there a list the compile has generated and is following somewhere
under /usr/src/linux? Or some other way of knowing where the compile is in terms
of percentage completed?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Harry

Harry <hputnam3 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> How can one tell how far along a kernel compile is? I can see the
> modules being built in /var/log/genkernel.log
> (Aside: Please, no hysteria about using genkernel)
>
> But I'd like to know of some way to guesstimate how much of the process is
> completed. Is there a list the compile has generated and is following
> somewhere under /usr/src/linux? Or some other way of knowing where the
> compile is in terms of percentage completed?

Just reporting a further bit on this:
You might think that tailing the log output and grepping for the module names
in .config would be one way, and I suppose it is, but no directly because the
compile does not appear to follow .config all the time.

Seems to follow closely when there modules in a row, but then jumps to whole
different sections... so still not very helpful