Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Mick

Default Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?

I don't know if you have seen this. Given that we're moving into UEFI
boot what are the workarounds to compensate for Microsoft's efforts to
exclude other operating systems from available hardware?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/uefi_linux_lock_out_row_latest/

Mick

Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Mon 26 Sep 2011 08:31:10 PM IST, Mick wrote:
> I don't know if you have seen this. Given that we're moving into UEFI
> boot what are the workarounds to compensate for Microsoft's efforts to
> exclude other operating systems from available hardware?
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/uefi_linux_lock_out_row_latest/

That feature is optional, see official word from MS:
https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx
Microsoft has at least done something good for the Linux community

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan
<contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> On Mon 26 Sep 2011 08:31:10 PM IST, Mick wrote:
>> I don't know if you have seen this. *Given that we're moving into UEFI
>> boot what are the workarounds to compensate for Microsoft's efforts to
>> exclude other operating systems from available hardware?
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/uefi_linux_lock_out_row_latest/
>>

> That feature is optional, see official word from MS:
> https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx
> Microsoft has at least done something good for the Linux community
>
> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> http://nileshgr.com

It's only optional if the BIOS includes an option to disable the
feature. I don't think that option is _required_ by Microsoft so if
(insert name here) contracts with their BIOS developer to not include
that option then I believe we're potentially out of luck.

- Mark

Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
James Broadhead

On 26 September 2011 16:01, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if you have seen this. *Given that we're moving into UEFI
> boot what are the workarounds to compensate for Microsoft's efforts to
> exclude other operating systems from available hardware?

My opinion is that signed boot is probably on its way (despite not
actually offering much in the way of security, as the Apple Battery
hack has shown), and so we'll enter an era where you have the option
between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a cracked
boot, with little in the way of switching between the two, at least
initially

I know which one I'd pick if it came down to it

Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Mon 26 Sep 2011 08:51:17 PM IST, James Broadhead wrote:
> On 26 September 2011 16:01, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know if you have seen this. Given that we're moving into UEFI
>> boot what are the workarounds to compensate for Microsoft's efforts to
>> exclude other operating systems from available hardware?
>
> My opinion is that signed boot is probably on its way (despite not
> actually offering much in the way of security, as the Apple Battery
> hack has shown), and so we'll enter an era where you have the option
> between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a cracked
> boot, with little in the way of switching between the two, at least
> initially
>
> I know which one I'd pick if it came down to it

And you really need not worry about it, some geek (Torvalds?) will
surely find out a way.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com