Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Adam Carter

Default Firefox cookie manager

I'd like to whitelist sites to allow their cookies to stay
permanently, then have all other sites cookies deleted upon browser
close. Can anyone recommend a cookie manager?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to whitelist sites to allow their cookies to stay
> permanently, then have all other sites cookies deleted upon browser
> close. Can anyone recommend a cookie manager?

"Cookie Monster" is great, it's what I use. If you're familiar with
the NoScript or RequestPolicy add-ons, it operates very much the same
way. It lets you have fine-grained control over which cookies you
allow or block, and you can allow cookies from a site for this
browsing session only.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookie-monster/

Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Adam Carter

> "Cookie Monster" is great, it's what I use. If you're familiar with
> the NoScript or RequestPolicy add-ons, it operates very much the same
> way. It lets you have fine-grained control over which cookies you
> allow or block, and you can allow cookies from a site for this
> browsing session only.

Looks good. How do i set the "default action"? Or does it just inherit
the browser setting to determine the default?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Cookie Monster" is great, it's what I use. If you're familiar with
>> the NoScript or RequestPolicy add-ons, it operates very much the same
>> way. It lets you have fine-grained control over which cookies you
>> allow or block, and you can allow cookies from a site for this
>> browsing session only.
>
> Looks good. How do i set the "default action"? Or does it just inherit
> the browser setting to determine the default?

I believe it uses the browser's setting as default. It's probably best
to block all cookies by default in Firefox's settings, that way only
the ones you explicitly allow in the Cookie Monster add-on will be
accepted.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Adam Carter

> I believe it uses the browser's setting as default.

Yeah that appears to be it, but you have a restart FF for CM to pick
up the new setting.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Harry

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I believe it uses the browser's setting as default. It's probably best
> to block all cookies by default in Firefox's settings, that way only
> the ones you explicitly allow in the Cookie Monster add-on will be
> accepted.

Anyone know how that setting is accessed in FF? I've gone carefully thru the
options tabs but didn't find any settings regarding cookies

Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Harry <hputnam3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I believe it uses the browser's setting as default. It's probably best
>> to block all cookies by default in Firefox's settings, that way only
>> the ones you explicitly allow in the Cookie Monster add-on will be
>> accepted.
>
> Anyone know how that setting is accessed in FF? *I've gone carefully thru the
> options tabs but didn't find any settings regarding cookies

It's not obvious at all, but inside the FF options panel go to:

Privacy -> History -> Use Custom Settings For History

then you'll have the cookie options exposed.