Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Mick

Default WPA2 connection configuration?

On Sunday 25 Sep 2011 21:59:05 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 25.09.2011 22:38, schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone supply an example of correctly setting up wpa_supplicant
> >
> > to connect to a WEP2 home network?
> >
> > If got the modules installed and the hardware telling me it sees
> >
> > all sorts of ESSIDs but so far I cannot figure out how to give it the
> > password correctly. I've been trying to follow this page but it
> > completely eludes me.
> >
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Mark
>
> This should be sufficient:
> network={
> ssid="network_ssid"
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> psk="password"
> }
>
> Hope this helps,
> Florian Philipp

The above should work, but you may want to also try adding:

group=CCMP TKIP WEP104

(or any combo thereof)

If you have a key already then all is good. Use that.

If not, something like this will generate you a key:

http://www.speedguide.net/wlan_key.php

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

NOTE: Some (older) routers were having problems using symbols, spaces, etc.
so it may be easier to try just simple hex alphanumeric characters to see if
it works.

If you have a passphrase but not the key, then use the name of your SSID and
the wpa_passphrase command to generate the key.
Mick

Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Adam Carter

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> * Can anyone supply an example of correctly setting up wpa_supplicant
> to connect to a WEP2 home network?

Do you mean WPA2 or WEP? AFAIK there's no such thing as WEP2.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 25.09.2011 22:38, schrieb Mark Knecht:
>> Hi,
>> * *Can anyone supply an example of correctly setting up wpa_supplicant
>> to connect to a WEP2 home network?
>>
>> * *If got the modules installed and the hardware telling me it sees
>> all sorts of ESSIDs but so far I cannot figure out how to give it the
>> password correctly. I've been trying to follow this page but it
>> completely eludes me.
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mark
>>

> This should be sufficient:
> network={
> * * * *ssid="network_ssid"
> * * * *key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> * * * *psk="password"
> }
>
> Hope this helps,
> Florian Philipp

Thanks Florian. I really appreciate the help. It was enough to get
things working after I realized I have a mind block about routes. This
email is coming to you over wireless so things are alright now, but I
have some confusion about switching between networks:

Looking here:

slinky ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/net
config_eth0="192.168.1.55 netmask 255.255.255.0"
routes_eth0="default via 192.168.1.1"

modules="wpa_supplicant"

config_wlan0="192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"
routes_wlan0="default via 192.168.1.1"

slinky ~ #

I specified routes for both eth0 and wlan0 thinking Gentoo would use
the one thats up, but it doesn't. It seems that even when I shut off
eth0 it still tries to use the eth0 route. To get his working I had to
comment out the eth0 route completely.

So, is there a way to point the default to 192.168.1.1 and have the
network use the one interface that's up?

Also, is there a way to have the system use wireless anytime he wired
connector isn't hooked up, of do I manually have to switch to root and
then do

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop
/etc/init.d/net.wlan start

to switch over?

Anyway, it's working so that's a big step forward.

THANKS!!!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> * Can anyone supply an example of correctly setting up wpa_supplicant
>> to connect to a WEP2 home network?
>
> Do you mean WPA2 or WEP? AFAIK there's no such thing as WEP2.

Yeah, WPA2. My bad.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Sep 26, 2011 6:37 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

> > Am 25.09.2011 22:38, schrieb Mark Knecht:

> >> Hi,

> >> * *Can anyone supply an example of correctly setting up wpa_supplicant

> >> to connect to a WEP2 home network?

> >> * *If got the modules installed and the hardware telling me it sees

> >> all sorts of ESSIDs but so far I cannot figure out how to give it the

> >> password correctly. I've been trying to follow this page but it

> >> completely eludes me.

> >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4

> >> Thanks in advance,

> >> Mark

> > This should be sufficient:

> > network={

> > * * * *ssid="network_ssid"

> > * * * *key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

> > * * * *psk="password"

> > }

> > Hope this helps,

> > Florian Philipp

> Thanks Florian. I really appreciate the help. It was enough to get

> things working after I realized I have a mind block about routes. This

> email is coming to you over wireless so things are alright now, but I

> have some confusion about switching between networks:

> Looking here:

> slinky ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/net

> config_eth0="192.168.1.55 netmask 255.255.255.0"

> routes_eth0="default via 192.168.1.1"

> modules="wpa_supplicant"

> config_wlan0="192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"

> routes_wlan0="default via 192.168.1.1"

> slinky ~ #

> I specified routes for both eth0 and wlan0 thinking Gentoo would use

> the one thats up, but it doesn't. It seems that even when I shut off

> eth0 it still tries to use the eth0 route. To get his working I had to

> comment out the eth0 route completely.

I suggest using the postup() and predown() facilities instead:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=5

In postup(), create the default route e.g. ip route add default via $DG_IP dev $IFACE metric $METRIC

In predown(), delete the default route. Same command, but 'delete' instead of 'add'.

Note: metric comes into play only when eth0 and wlan0 are up simultaneously; the lowest metric wins.

> So, is there a way to point the default to 192.168.1.1 and have the

> network use the one interface that's up?

Well, the default gateway on eth0 and wlan0 has the same IP. I'm not sure iproute2 can stomach that.

> Also, is there a way to have the system use wireless anytime he wired

> connector isn't hooked up, of do I manually have to switch to root and

> then do

> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop

> /etc/init.d/net.wlan start

> to switch over?

ifplugd or netplug.

Rgds,

Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Adam Carter

> ifplugd or netplug.

This is the better option IMO.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ifplugd or netplug.
>
> This is the better option IMO.

Or skip the net config/init scripts stuff and just use something like wicd.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
James Broadhead

On 26 September 2011 03:19, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or skip the net config/init scripts stuff and just use something like wicd.

Getting a manager to write your wpa_supplicant.conf for you (in
effect), has been the right way of configuring wifi for the average
user for years now. It's a real shame that this isn't promoted more in
the gentoo handbook and/or the Wifi guide.

I added a patch to the wifi guide a while back, but I really find the
gentoo documentation workflow so over-burdening that I usually work on
gentoo-wiki instead. It's pretty dispiriting to see people using
troublesome tools when there's better ways out there

JB

Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
"Spidey / Claudio"

Complementing James comment, when I messed with Gentoo on a notebook I
also tried the confusing and troublesome way: configuring wi-fi to
connect at boot time. It was REALLY a challenge, maintaining a
realistic configuration file, which would let you boot with network up
equally while home and while at work. At the end of the day, I just
regressed to no boot configuration and went with wicd or
NetworkManager.
When I came back to configuring my desktop, it felt strange to run
dhcp at boot time, I even tried migrating a wired box to
NetworkManager, but ended with a static config nevertheless.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Fernando Freire

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Spidey / Claudio <spideybr@gmail.com> wrote:

>Complementing James comment, when I messed with Gentoo on a notebook I

>also tried the confusing and troublesome way: configuring wi-fi to

>connect at boot time. It was REALLY a challenge, maintaining a

>realistic configuration file, which would let you boot with network up

>equally while home and while at work. At the end of the day, I just

>regressed to no boot configuration and went with wicd or

>NetworkManager.

>When I came back to configuring my desktop, it felt strange to run

>dhcp at boot time, I even tried migrating a wired box to

>NetworkManager, but ended with a static config nevertheless.

I'm curious, why is running DHCP at boot time not recommended? Before running any sort of network manager I ran dhcp on boot (I'll admit it, it was awkward when I wasn't wired in, since I would have to wait for dhcp to time out). It wasn't too terrible since I only had about 3 or 4 wireless networks I could possibly connect to. Between the Gentoo Handbook and Google I didn't have a terrible time setting it up; heck, I didn't even know there was a better way of managing wireless networks!