Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Andrey Moshbear

Default kde4: no hardware info without sys-apps/hal

Now that hal is out of he portage tree and uninstalled, I've noticed
that the following occur:
1) no battery info (and other ACPI doesn't fare well too)
2) Suspend key is broken; must use $sudo pm-suspend instead
3) USB hotplug is broken; device notifier is oblivious to
inserted/removed USB devices

Solutions?

--
001100 Andrey "m05hbear" Vul
010010

Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that hal is out of he portage tree and uninstalled, I've noticed
> that the following occur:
> 1) no battery info (and other ACPI doesn't fare well too)
> 2) Suspend key is broken; must use $sudo pm-suspend instead
> 3) USB hotplug is broken; device notifier is oblivious to
> inserted/removed USB devices
>
> Solutions?

Not sure about the root causes or potential solutions but both #1 & #3
do work here.

I do have CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y in my kernel. Not sure what it's doing
anymore but it's there.

I do have most of ACPI either on or modular.

udev is started as part of sysinit.

Not at all sure whatever might be involved.

HTH,
Mark

Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
"L. B."

Now that hal is out of he portage tree and uninstalled, I've noticed

that the following occur:

1) no battery info (and other ACPI doesn't fare well too)

2) Suspend key is broken; must use $sudo pm-suspend instead

3) USB hotplug is broken; device notifier is oblivious to

inserted/removed USB devices

Solutions?

I have the same problem with my fresh xfce install (I installed gentoo yesterday): no battery info, usb hotplug seems not to work. I've been messing around all day long, but I wasn't able to figure out: my kernel is compiled with the right things enabled, udev is ok, everything is ok. Maybe I'm missing something, but my idea is that it has got to do with the absence of hal.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Now that hal is out of he portage tree and uninstalled, I've noticed
that the following occur:
1) no battery info (and other ACPI doesn't fare well too)
2) Suspend key is broken; must use $sudo pm-suspend instead
3) USB hotplug is broken; device notifier is oblivious to
inserted/removed USB devices

Solutions?

Do you have "udev" if your USE flags in make.conf?