Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Mick

Default Optimising apache on a single core 32bit machine with hyperthreading

If I haven't enabled USE= apache2_mpms_prefork and apache2_mpms_worker, how
does apache behave with regards to threading responses?

This question is for a box with an Intel P4 single core cpu:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 3
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
stepping : 4
cpu MHz : 3401.107
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs
bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 6802.21
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 3
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
stepping : 4
cpu MHz : 3401.107
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs
bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 6800.63
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:
Mick

Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 24.09.2011 11:32, schrieb Mick:
> If I haven't enabled USE= apache2_mpms_prefork and apache2_mpms_worker, how
> does apache behave with regards to threading responses?

[...]

If you have neither enabled, the ebuild (apache-2 eclass, to be
specific) chooses one of them based on USE=threads. Enabled=worker,
disabled=prefork.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Mick

On Saturday 24 Sep 2011 11:12:48 Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 24.09.2011 11:32, schrieb Mick:
> > If I haven't enabled USE= apache2_mpms_prefork and apache2_mpms_worker,
> > how does apache behave with regards to threading responses?
>
> [...]
>
> If you have neither enabled, the ebuild (apache-2 eclass, to be
> specific) chooses one of them based on USE=threads. Enabled=worker,
> disabled=prefork.

Thanks,

I have threads unset globally so from what you're saying apache must be
running in preforked mode. I thought that I would need to define explicitely
USE="apache2_mpms_prefork" and enable or configure this in the apache modules
(I couldn't find any configurations related to preforked when I looked).

I'm trying to troubleshoot why a dev't machine that also runs a KDE desktop
continues to freeze after a few hours of heavy usage (and repeated reloading
of web pages for testing). It usually unlocks itself if left alone over a
coffee break - say after 5 -15 minutes depending on how many desktop apps are
running at the time.

I don't think it is apache that causes it (I'm suspecting KDE of course ;p ),
but it may be one of the things that contributes to it.
Mick