Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Default Unity on Gentoo?

Okay the thing is, I don't like Ubuntu. So I don't want to install it on
my system.

Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
`eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Dale

Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

Okay the thing is, I don't like Ubuntu. So I don't want to install it on
my system.

Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
`eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?

I found this:

http://forums-web1.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6688195.html?sid=6e4f6bc4793676f8fb298d2406f81d2a# 6688195

It may be doable but I can't find it if it is. You may want to check
into Gnome 3. It may be closer to what you want. That is mentioned in
the link above too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Tamer Higazi

Hi!
As I know "Unity" is a cannonical thing, not a gnome or ubuntu issue.
I even wouldn't wonder if that application is closed source that is
destributed only through the apt cannonical package mirror APT list.

Tamer

Old 09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Stroller

On 24 September 2011, at 06:53, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

> Okay the thing is, I don't like Ubuntu. So I don't want to install it on
> my system.
>
> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?

It's available for Arch & Fedora.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)#Availability

Might be worth taking a look at their packages and seeing if it can lead you to the source.

Or you could ask these guys how you can get source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/fossworldproblems/comments/knhkf/i_get_paid_to_develop_unity_and_now_you_guys_all/

It's remarkable how non-obvious the source is if you look at http://unity.ubuntu.com/

Stroller.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:33 PM
James Broadhead

On 24 September 2011 06:53, Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?

What you're missing is the experience of having used it. (Or having
*tried* to use it).

Once you have, you will see why no one is enthusiastic enough to write
an ebuild and support it in gentoo (or an overlay).

I'm just glad that Ubuntu still ships with vanilla Gnome (or "Ubuntu
Classic") by default -- I maintain a few Ubuntu systems for members of
my family.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:33 PM
James Broadhead

Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 11:23 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Okay the thing is, I don't like Ubuntu. So I don't want to install it on
> my system.
>
> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?

I'm sure *when* there is enough interest, and when I say "interest" I
mean interest by those who are willing to contribute and not those who
just sit on the sidelines waiting for someone else to do it, then it
will find its way in an overlay and maybe even into the official tree.

When I'm not convinced of, however, is that there will be enough
interest.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 PM
JD Horelick

On 24 September 2011 12:33, James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 September 2011 06:53, Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
>> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
>> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?
>
> What you're missing is the experience of having used it. (Or having
> *tried* to use it).
>
> Once you have, you will see why no one is enthusiastic enough to write
> an ebuild and support it in gentoo (or an overlay).
>
> I'm just glad that Ubuntu still ships with vanilla Gnome (or "Ubuntu
> Classic") by default -- I maintain a few Ubuntu systems for members of
> my family.

Just my opinion here, but i've used both Unity and gnome-shell and a
*MUCH* prefer Unity (IMO, I could live with Unity if GNOME2 ever went
away, i know i couldn't live with gnome-shell). It seems to have a
more well thought-out interface, it's getting massive improvements and
it's really sane and non-obtrusive (compared to gnome-shell, I still
prefer a "traditional desktop experience").

Old 09-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Sat 24 Sep 2011 11:15:43 PM IST, JD Horelick wrote:
> On 24 September 2011 12:33, James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 24 September 2011 06:53, Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
>>> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
>>> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?
>>
>> What you're missing is the experience of having used it. (Or having
>> *tried* to use it).
>>
>> Once you have, you will see why no one is enthusiastic enough to write
>> an ebuild and support it in gentoo (or an overlay).
>>
>> I'm just glad that Ubuntu still ships with vanilla Gnome (or "Ubuntu
>> Classic") by default -- I maintain a few Ubuntu systems for members of
>> my family.

It's stunning to know that something that's shipped by default with
Ubuntu sucks so much? Canonical surely must have gone haywire.

> Just my opinion here, but i've used both Unity and gnome-shell and a
> *MUCH* prefer Unity (IMO, I could live with Unity if GNOME2 ever went
> away, i know i couldn't live with gnome-shell). It seems to have a
> more well thought-out interface, it's getting massive improvements and
> it's really sane and non-obtrusive (compared to gnome-shell, I still
> prefer a "traditional desktop experience").

I don't like gnome-shell either, tried it on Fedora Live.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
James Broadhead

On 25 September 2011 03:15, Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> It's stunning to know that something that's shipped by default with
> Ubuntu sucks so much? Canonical surely must have gone haywire.

It wouldn't be the first time that they've effectively tested software
by pushing it out to their user-base.

PuuuuuuuuuulseAudio!

I actually think that it's a fundamental problem with their software
distribution model -- there's very little scope for someone to be both
- Using the most up to date distribution version
&&
- Switching between 'stable' implementations of certain features and
'testing' ones.

(Yes, I know about the different repos; I just think that so much
basic functionality is only available through "experimental",
"third-party", "testing" etc. that the majority of users will have
them enabled, and think no further about it).