Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Jonas de Buhr

Default OT: google search results (was: Modifying LiveCDs)

>This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results
>you may be interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP
>address), and

are you sure google uses ip geo-location? the results change a lot if
you just change the TLD or hl=

/jonas

Old 09-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Sep 23, 2011 9:53 PM, "Jonas de Buhr" <jonas.de.buhr@gmx.net> wrote:

> >This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results

> >you may be interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP

> >address), and

> are you sure google uses ip geo-location? the results change a lot if

> you just change the TLD or hl=

> /jonas

It seems like it. Accessing www.google.com in my country always gets me redirected to www.google.co.id. Unless I login first.

Rgds,

Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@gmx.net> wrote:
>>This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results
>>you may be interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP
>>address), and
>
> are you sure google uses ip geo-location? the results change a lot if
> you just change the TLD or hl=

In the US, when I Google search it shows my city and ZIP code
(detected, not always correctly), and allows me to change it, if I
want. It uses this to customize results in search, shopping, maps,
news...

Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Mick

On Friday 23 Sep 2011 15:48:29 Jonas de Buhr wrote:
> >This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results
> >you may be interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP
> >address), and
>
> are you sure google uses ip geo-location? the results change a lot if
> you just change the TLD or hl=

Yes it does. When you change the www.google.TLD you 'force' it to give you
the results from the specific TLD location. The results can change a lot if
location is relevant.

Mick

Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Mick

On Friday 23 Sep 2011 17:02:03 Mick wrote:
> On Friday 23 Sep 2011 15:48:29 Jonas de Buhr wrote:
> > >This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results
> > >you may be interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP
> > >address), and
> >
> > are you sure google uses ip geo-location? the results change a lot if
> > you just change the TLD or hl=
>
> Yes it does. When you change the www.google.TLD you 'force' it to give you
> the results from the specific TLD location. The results can change a lot
> if location is relevant.

BTW, the hl= just specifies the 'host language' of your browser. Of course if
you have set this to e.g. French, then (I think) that the results will be
listed with priority given to French sites if any are found.

To obtain location specific results you can also use Google's advanced search:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

and click to expand the link named "Date, usage rights, region, and more"
where you can choose a preferred country from the dropdown menu for 'Region'.

HTH.
Mick

Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 09:58:03PM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote

Use http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en I do that to avoid being
redirected to http://www.google.ca/

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>