Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
James

Default mplayer(2) ???

Howdy,

I have not kept up with the mplayer developments.

Now I see: media-video/mplayer2
and media-video/mplayer
Available versions: 1.0_rc4_p20101114

Any quick education on mplayer 2 would be appreciated.

James

Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM
James

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> I have not kept up with the mplayer developments.

I did find this:
http://www.mplayer2.org/comparison.html

I'm still interested in folks experiences
or comparisons of mplayer1 and mplayer2....

James

Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Stroller

On 20 September 2011, at 16:11, James wrote:
> I have not kept up with the mplayer developments.
>
> Now I see: media-video/mplayer2
> and media-video/mplayer
> Available versions: 1.0_rc4_p20101114
>

> Any quick education on mplayer 2 would be appreciated.

I believe this would be better described as Uoti Urpala's mplayer.

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2010-May/064672.html

The misunderstanding seems largely that to me - a misunderstanding between the Uoti and the other mplayer devs - rather than any kind of deliberate aggravation. I suspect that Uoti's version may well actually be better, but it's not "official" mplayer.

Stroller.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I have not kept up with the mplayer developments.

Now I see: media-video/mplayer2
and media-video/mplayer
Available versions: 1.0_rc4_p20101114

Any quick education on mplayer 2 would be appreciated.

I believe this would be better described as Uoti Urpala's mplayer.

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2010-May/064672.html

The misunderstanding seems largely that to me - a misunderstanding between the Uoti and the other mplayer devs - rather than any kind of deliberate aggravation. I suspect that Uoti's version may well actually be better, but it's not "official" mplayer.

It's official mplayer2 ;-)

Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Stroller

On 21 September 2011, at 02:37, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 09/21/2011 12:07 AM, Stroller wrote:
>>
>> On 20 September 2011, at 16:11, James wrote:
>>> I have not kept up with the mplayer developments.
>>>
>>> Now I see: media-video/mplayer2
>>> and media-video/mplayer
>>> Available versions: 1.0_rc4_p20101114
>>>

>>> Any quick education on mplayer 2 would be appreciated.
>>
>> I believe this would be better described as Uoti Urpala's mplayer.
>>
>> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2010-May/064672.html
>>
>> The misunderstanding seems largely that to me - a misunderstanding between the Uoti and the other mplayer devs - rather than any kind of deliberate aggravation. I suspect that Uoti's version may well actually be better, but it's not "official" mplayer.
>
> It's official mplayer2 ;-)

I know you're trying to be funny, but this statement risks confusing people.

The mplayer2.org webpage says it's a fork, Uoti posts on the mplayer2 mailing lists. I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with mplayer.hu, the "official mplayer" (your use of "2" noted).

This blog post suggests it may be worthwhile:
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2011/03/mplayer2-experimental-package.html

- .mkv ordered chapters [1]
- ffmpeg multithreading support
- improved frame-dropping (??)

The mplayer2 site also says improved support for nVidia VDPAU.

Stroller.

[1] does regular mplayer not support .mkv chapters, or is this the ability to play in order chapters that are stored out of order in the file?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Florian Philipp

Am 21.09.2011 07:19, schrieb Stroller:

> On 21 September 2011, at 02:37, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> I believe this would be better described as Uoti Urpala's mplayer.
>>>
>>> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2010-May/064672.html
>>>
>>> The misunderstanding seems largely that to me - a misunderstanding between the Uoti and the other mplayer devs - rather than any kind of deliberate aggravation. I suspect that Uoti's version may well actually be better, but it's not "official" mplayer.
>>
>> It's official mplayer2 ;-)
>

> I know you're trying to be funny, but this statement risks confusing people.
>
> The mplayer2.org webpage says it's a fork, Uoti posts on the mplayer2 mailing lists. I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with mplayer.hu, the "official mplayer" (your use of "2" noted).
>
> This blog post suggests it may be worthwhile:
> http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2011/03/mplayer2-experimental-package.html
>
> - .mkv ordered chapters [1]
> - ffmpeg multithreading support
> - improved frame-dropping (??)
>
> The mplayer2 site also says improved support for nVidia VDPAU.
>
> Stroller.

Another advantage: It abolished the horrible internationalization
mechanism of mplayer1 and uses gettext now. This means I can finally
post English output on mailing lists and bug trackers by executing it
like 'LC_ALL=C mplayer2 foo' instead of recompiling it.

It also doesn't restart playback when switching between fullscreen and
window mode.

One disadvantage: I often watch videos I'm recording from dvb-t. With
mplayer1 I could seek behind the official end of the file (when I record
1 hour in advance, watch 15 minutes, I could seek to 1:15:00). With
mplayer2, it only seeks to the official end, so if I want to seek to
1:15:00, I have to restart mplayer2.

Overall, I'm quiet satisfied with mplayer2 and use it exclusively for
playback. I still keep mplayer1 because mplayer2 does not provide mencoder.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Dale

Florian Philipp wrote:
Another advantage: It abolished the horrible internationalization
mechanism of mplayer1 and uses gettext now. This means I can finally
post English output on mailing lists and bug trackers by executing it
like 'LC_ALL=C mplayer2 foo' instead of recompiling it. It also
doesn't restart playback when switching between fullscreen and window
mode. One disadvantage: I often watch videos I'm recording from dvb-t.
With mplayer1 I could seek behind the official end of the file (when I
record 1 hour in advance, watch 15 minutes, I could seek to 1:15:00).
With mplayer2, it only seeks to the official end, so if I want to seek
to 1:15:00, I have to restart mplayer2. Overall, I'm quiet satisfied
with mplayer2 and use it exclusively for playback. I still keep
mplayer1 because mplayer2 does not provide mencoder. Regards, Florian
Philipp

Does mplayer2 work with smplayer or kmplayer?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Sebastian Beßler

> Does mplayer2 work with smplayer or kmplayer?

I use mplayer2 with smplayer for a few month now and everything works
just fine for me.

Greetings

Sebastian Beßler

Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 21 Sep 2011 09:19:39 Sebastian Beßler wrote:
> > Does mplayer2 work with smplayer or kmplayer?
>
> I use mplayer2 with smplayer for a few month now and everything works
> just fine for me.

Any idea when ffmpeg-mt might make it to the main portage tree?

Mick