FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default Updating libpng: another lib tool cockup?

On Mon, Sep 19 2011, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> OK. *But the claim was that: if
>> * revdep-rebuild
>> with no argument found nothing to build, then
>> * revdep-rebuild --library <some-library>
>> will find nothing.
>
> I think what everyone (except Michael S) seems to be confused about is:
>
> Normal revdep-rebuild (with no options) looks for broken shared
> library dependencies and rebuilds them. If you run it again, it won't
> rebuild anything, because the dependency has been fixed.
>
> Using the --library switch, however, it looks for everything built
> against that library, regardless of whether or not the dependency is
> broken, and rebuilds it. If you run this command 10 times in a row
> it'll rebuild the same libraries 10 times.
>
> Presumably, there are cases (like libpng) when it is desirable to
> rebuild dependencies but they aren't "broken" in the way that
> revdep-rebuild normally can detect. So using --library will
> brute-force rebuild everything that depends on that library, just to
> make sure they are built against the new version.
>
> Moral of the story; if an ebuild tells you to revdep-rebuild
> --library, do it.

Thanks for the clarification.

When revdep-rebuild --library is suggested should we run it
before or after the ordinary revdep-rebuild that we typically
run after each update world?
(That was actually my original question :-)

thanks,
allan
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Updating libpng: another lib tool cockup?

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> When revdep-rebuild --library is suggested should we run it
> before or after the ordinary revdep-rebuild that we typically
> run after each update world?

I think you should run it with --library first. There exists the
possiblity that --library will rebuild something that a normal
revdep-rebuild would have also wanted to rebuild, so running --library
first could potentially save you from repeat rebuilding.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default Updating libpng: another lib tool cockup?

On Mon, Sep 19 2011, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> When revdep-rebuild --library is suggested should we run it
>> before or after the ordinary revdep-rebuild that we typically
>> run after each update world?
>
> I think you should run it with --library first. There exists the
> possiblity that --library will rebuild something that a normal
> revdep-rebuild would have also wanted to rebuild, so running --library
> first could potentially save you from repeat rebuilding.

thanks,
allan
 
Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Updating libpng: another lib tool cockup?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:57:03 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> When revdep-rebuild --library is suggested should we run it
> before or after the ordinary revdep-rebuild that we typically
> run after each update world?
> (That was actually my original question :-)

You should run it first, because the elog message is telling you to run
that command, not revdep-rebuild, which is usually unnecessary. The
reason revdep-rebuild alone finds nothing to rebuild is because portage
has ensured that nothing is broken by preserving the old library version.

With a recent enough portage, emerge @preserved-rebuild should avoid the
need for revdep-rebuild entirely, although in this case it doesn't quite
manage that.


--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 004: Erroneous error - Nothing is wrong
 
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default Updating libpng: another lib tool cockup?

On Tue, Sep 20 2011, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 13:57:03 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> When revdep-rebuild --library is suggested should we run it
>> before or after the ordinary revdep-rebuild that we typically
>> run after each update world?
>> (That was actually my original question :-)
>
> You should run it first, because the elog message is telling you to run
> that command, not revdep-rebuild, which is usually unnecessary. The
> reason revdep-rebuild alone finds nothing to rebuild is because portage
> has ensured that nothing is broken by preserving the old library version.
>
> With a recent enough portage, emerge @preserved-rebuild should avoid the
> need for revdep-rebuild entirely, although in this case it doesn't quite
> manage that.

Thank you.
allan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:03 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org