Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Datty

Default Screen not turning on at startx. Nvidia Gfx

Hi all,
I've been having a few problems with my gentoo install mainly on boot where my screen will be blank when starting X. X is definitely working in the background because I can login blind and hear the login sound. To get it to work I have to continually switch between ttys until it decides to work properly. Once into the X session with the screen on its fine, acceleration etc is ok and it will happily resume from screensaver and display off. I should point out though that the machine I'm using is a sony z13 with hybrid graphics but I've got the bios forced to only use the nvidia card, mainly because I couldn't even get the live cd to start with the hybrid graphics on. I've attached my xorg.conf and my xorg.log. I've noted the error in the xorg.log but the error is output even when the screen does work correctly.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Oliver

Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Mick

On Monday 19 Sep 2011 09:05:21 Datty wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been having a few problems with my gentoo install mainly on boot where
> my screen will be blank when starting X. X is definitely working in the
> background because I can login blind and hear the login sound. To get it to
> work I have to continually switch between ttys until it decides to work
> properly. Once into the X session with the screen on its fine, acceleration
> etc is ok and it will happily resume from screensaver and display off. I
> should point out though that the machine I'm using is a sony z13 with
> hybrid graphics but I've got the bios forced to only use the nvidia card,
> mainly because I couldn't even get the live cd to start with the hybrid
> graphics on. I've attached my xorg.conf and my xorg.log. I've noted the
> error in the xorg.log but the error is output even when the screen does
> work correctly.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Oliver

Yes, your log shows: video=uvesafb

Which doesn't work nicely with KMS, that the latest kernels provide. Have you
looked at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
Mick

Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Datty

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday 19 Sep 2011 09:05:21 Datty wrote:

> Hi all,

> I've been having a few problems with my gentoo install mainly on boot where

> my screen will be blank when starting X. X is definitely working in the

> background because I can login blind and hear the login sound. To get it to

> work I have to continually switch between ttys until it decides to work

> properly. Once into the X session with the screen on its fine, acceleration

> etc is ok and it will happily resume from screensaver and display off. I

> should point out though that the machine I'm using is a sony z13 with

> hybrid graphics but I've got the bios forced to only use the nvidia card,

> mainly because I couldn't even get the live cd to start with the hybrid

> graphics on. I've attached my xorg.conf and my xorg.log. I've noted the

> error in the xorg.log but the error is output even when the screen does

> work correctly.

> Any ideas?

> Thanks

> Oliver

Yes, your log shows: *video=uvesafb

Which doesn't work nicely with KMS, that the latest kernels provide. *Have you

looked at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml

Mick

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the document but unfortunately I can't use Nouveau because I need 3d so I went for what I could use. I've dropped uvesafb totally as it was pretty much useless anyway. It has sort of helped a little, its coming up what seems like more often than before but its still blanking quite a lot on boot. A few minutes of switching terminals does eventually bring it up but there doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind why it does and doesn't work. Nothing jumps out at me in the log either.

Thanks

Oliver

Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:23:23 +0100
Datty <datty.wtb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the document but unfortunately
> I can't use Nouveau because I need 3d so I went for what I could use.
> I've dropped uvesafb totally as it was pretty much useless anyway. It
> has sort of helped a little, its coming up what seems like more often
> than before but its still blanking quite a lot on boot. A few minutes
> of switching terminals does eventually bring it up but there doesn't
> seem to be any reasoning behind why it does and doesn't work. Nothing
> jumps out at me in the log either.

Sounds like a race condition between the kernel and the uvesafb driver.
Only one of them can control the screen at any given time and console
handover is a tricky business (IIRC this was one of the very things that
drove the development of KMS). Perhaps every now and then uvesafb just
ahppened to grab (or ungrab) the console at just the right time.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Datty

> Thanks for the reply, I have looked at the document but unfortunately

> I can't use Nouveau because I need 3d so I went for what I could use.

> I've dropped uvesafb totally as it was pretty much useless anyway. It

> has sort of helped a little, its coming up what seems like more often

> than before but its still blanking quite a lot on boot. A few minutes

> of switching terminals does eventually bring it up but there doesn't

> seem to be any reasoning behind why it does and doesn't work. Nothing

> jumps out at me in the log either.

Sounds like a race condition between the kernel and the uvesafb driver.

Only one of them can control the screen at any given time and console

handover is a tricky business (IIRC this was one of the very things that

drove the development of KMS). Perhaps every now and then uvesafb just

ahppened to grab (or ungrab) the console at just the right time.

--

Alan McKinnnon

alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

A bit of a gap since my last reply but I ended up having to remove Gentoo while I needed my laptop for work. I've rebuilt it all now based around gnome 3.2 but the screen issue still stands. I've only got VESA framebuffer in and nvidia-drivers-285.05.09. I'll try it without any framebuffer drivers but I'm a bit nervous I'll end up not being able to see anything! Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Oliver Smith