Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
walt

Default Updating libpng: another libtool cockup?

I just did a routine update on my ~amd64 machine and saw the portage
warning that libpng14 has been replaced by libpng15, and I should run
revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib/libpng14.so' and then delete the
obsolete library.

That's what I did. I confess I wasn't watching, so I may have missed
some important errors during the run.

After that I ran plain revdep-rebuild as I do after every update, and
saw that two gnome packages failed to rebuild properly because lpng14
couldn't be found :/

From painful experience I've learned that good-old libtool files (*.la)
are the usual suspects, and grep found -lpng14 in about ten .la files
even after both revdep-rebuilds. Grrr!

This fixed the problem for me (as similar moves have done in the past):

#find /usr/lib64 -name *.la -exec sed -i s/png14/png15/ '{}' ';'

I ran revdep-rebuild again and the two broken packages emerged nicely
this time.

I hope no one else will hit this problem, but at least this is a good
workaround if you do.