Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Harry Putnam

Default how to install from ISO without burning it

I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
an ISO into a known partition,.

I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
install gentoo directly from iso. Or I should say:

I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
jumbo like this one:

http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305

I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Poncho

On 18.09.2011 21:01, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
> an ISO into a known partition,.
>
> I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
> install gentoo directly from iso. Or I should say:
>
> I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
> jumbo like this one:
>
> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305
>
> I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
> is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Maybe this helps:

Boot the ISO image from the disk using Grub2
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Easy_install_SystemRescueCd_on_harddisk#Boot_th e_ISO_image_from_the_disk_using_Grub2

Here is my grub config:
set isofile="/systemrescuecd-x86-2.3.1.iso"
loopback loop (vg_8540w-lv_boot)$isofile
linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64 docache setkmap=sg isoloop=$isofile
initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz

If you use "docache", you are able to unmount your partition after
booting...

I don't know if this works with the Gentoo livecd...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 AM
James

Harry Putnam <reader <at> newsguy.com> writes:

> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305

> I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
> is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Curious.

I was going to attempt an installation directly from a new liveDVD
11.2 just for grins. Here is what I found. I have not yet found
the time, but it's on my list. Anyone tried this or a similar
method for installation?

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Install_LiveDVD_11.2_to_hard_disk_drive

hth,
James

Old 09-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Sep 19, 2011 2:04 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping

> an ISO into a known partition,.

> I'm not getting much from google on this search string:

> * install gentoo directly from iso. *Or I should say:

> I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo

> jumbo like this one:

> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305

> I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there

> is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Well, AFAIK all you need for installation are chroot, the latest stage3, and portage-latest. So if you already have a bootable Linux system with a chroot, you're good to go.

Rgds,

Old 09-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
> an ISO into a known partition,.
>
> I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
> * install gentoo directly from iso. *Or I should say:
>
> I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
> jumbo like this one:
>
> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305
>
> I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
> is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Apparenly ISOLINUX is in a family of very similar bootloaders, and
someone made reference to a disk version of it last week or the week
before.

However, it might be possible to replace ISOLINUX on the live DVD with
the family's disk equivalent*, and have your normal bootloader chain
load it?

I'm missing a lot of detail here; perhaps someone else remembers or knows more.

* surely there's a script somewhere that automates that.

--
:wq