Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Dale

Default Making a init thingy. Step two I guess.

OK. Sort of dealt with the LVM part so now to step two. I'm trying to
follow this:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs

Then I get confused. I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost here.
In there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to the init
directory. Then below that it says to use busybox. Well, which is it?
Do I do both of those or just one?

I also tried to figure out Dracut but it seems like a work in progress
or something. I can't seem to find any Gentoo docs for it. I found a
Redhat doc but that's not exactly Gentoo.

Am I starting to work on this to soon? Maybe wait a while longer until
some more stuff gets sorted out?

Dang, I'm full of questions today. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK. *Sort of dealt with the LVM part so now to step two. *I'm trying to
> follow this:
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
>
> Then I get confused. *I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost here. *In
> there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to the init
> directory. *Then below that it says to use busybox. *Well, which is it? *Do
> I do both of those or just one?

It's been a while for me but I believe it's both. I think busybox is
the thing that gives you command line tools like cd, ls, pwd, etc.
However you also can include applications in your initramfs that give
you more access to the hardware or the net.

> I also tried to figure out Dracut but it seems like a work in progress or
> something. *I can't seem to find any Gentoo docs for it. *I found a Redhat
> doc but that's not exactly Gentoo.
>
> Am I starting to work on this to soon? *Maybe wait a while longer until some
> more stuff gets sorted out?
>
> Dang, I'm full of questions today. *;-)
>
> Dale

I'm just reading some Dracut stuff myself. I figured I might as well
get educated. I likely won't actually build it and try it for a few
days at the soonest, but it's good to get prepared. Cheers to you for
doing that.

- Mark