Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Paul Hartman

Default HPLIP plugin file

Does anyone here use HPLIP and happen to have the file
hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run that they can send to me or upload somewhere?
openprinting.org is down because of the LF hack and it could be more
weeks before it's back up. There are apparently no mirrors of this
file... I can't install my printer until I obtain this file.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:

Does anyone here use HPLIP and happen to have the file
hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run that they can send to me or upload somewhere?
openprinting.org is down because of the LF hack and it could be more
weeks before it's back up. There are apparently no mirrors of this
file... I can't install my printer until I obtain this file.

Thanks in advance.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

I didn't try it but see if that works.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone here use HPLIP and happen to have the file
>> hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run that they can send to me or upload somewhere?
>> openprinting.org is down because of the LF hack and it could be more
>> weeks before it's back up. There are apparently no mirrors of this
>> file... I can't install my printer until I obtain this file.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>
> I didn't try it but see if that works.

Thanks, but it looks like that's just the program itself (which is in
Gentoo's distfiles mirrors) but not the plugin pack, unless I'm just
not looking in the right place.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Joost Roeleveld

On Friday, September 16, 2011 06:50:14 PM Paul Hartman wrote:
> Does anyone here use HPLIP and happen to have the file
> hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run that they can send to me or upload somewhere?
> openprinting.org is down because of the LF hack and it could be more
> weeks before it's back up. There are apparently no mirrors of this
> file... I can't install my printer until I obtain this file.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Try it from here:
http://agni.csa.iisc.ernet.in/CASL/printer

It appears to have it's own local copy.

Found it by googling for the filename

--
Joost

Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:

Does anyone here use HPLIP and happen to have the file
hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run that they can send to me or upload somewhere?
openprinting.org is down because of the LF hack and it could be more
weeks before it's back up. There are apparently no mirrors of this
file... I can't install my printer until I obtain this file.

Thanks in advance.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

I didn't try it but see if that works.

Thanks, but it looks like that's just the program itself (which is in
Gentoo's distfiles mirrors) but not the plugin pack, unless I'm just
not looking in the right place.

Sent it off list. May need to check spam bucket if you don't see it.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
> On Friday, September 16, 2011 06:50:14 PM Paul Hartman wrote:
>> Does anyone here use HPLIP and happen to have the file
>> hplip-3.11.7-plugin.run that they can send to me or upload somewhere?
>> openprinting.org is down because of the LF hack and it could be more
>> weeks before it's back up. There are apparently no mirrors of this
>> file... I can't install my printer until I obtain this file.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Try it from here:
> http://agni.csa.iisc.ernet.in/CASL/printer
>
> It appears to have it's own local copy.
>
> Found it by googling for the filename

Thanks, that's the one I needed. For some reason that page isn't in my
Google results, I even searched again just now and it's still not
there. Sometimes Google tries to be too smart.

Now I can finally print normally, and removed foo2zjs completely from
my computer. Wooohoo.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:25:44 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> Now I can finally print normally, and removed foo2zjs completely from
> my computer. Wooohoo.

What printer do you have. I use foo2zjs with a LaserJet 1022 and thought
it was the only way, not that it causes me any problems.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 30: Business ethics

Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:25:44 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
>
>> Now I can finally print normally, and removed foo2zjs completely from
>> my computer. Wooohoo.
>
> What printer do you have. I use foo2zjs with a LaserJet 1022 and thought
> it was the only way, not that it causes me any problems.

I have the LaserJer 1020, foo2zjs used to be the only way to print for
me, too; by chance, I was looking at HPLIP the other day and saw 1020
was now in the supported printers list (it wasn't when I bought the
printer). Looks like 1022 is there, too.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 00:13:32 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> > What printer do you have. I use foo2zjs with a LaserJet 1022 and
> > thought it was the only way, not that it causes me any problems.
>
> I have the LaserJer 1020, foo2zjs used to be the only way to print for
> me, too; by chance, I was looking at HPLIP the other day and saw 1020
> was now in the supported printers list (it wasn't when I bought the
> printer). Looks like 1022 is there, too.

That's worth looking at, AFAICT the 1020 and 1022 are basically the same.

Do you have any particular objection to foo2zjs or is it just an OCD
attitude to not having unnecessary packages installed?

--
Neil Bothwick

Ask a silly person, get a silly answer

Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 00:13:32 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
>
>> > What printer do you have. I use foo2zjs with a LaserJet 1022 and
>> > thought it was the only way, not that it causes me any problems.
>>
>> I have the LaserJer 1020, foo2zjs used to be the only way to print for
>> me, too; by chance, I was looking at HPLIP the other day and saw 1020
>> was now in the supported printers list (it wasn't when I bought the
>> printer). Looks like 1022 is there, too.
>
> That's worth looking at, AFAICT the 1020 and 1022 are basically the same.
>
> Do you have any particular objection to foo2zjs or is it just an OCD
> attitude to not having unnecessary packages installed?

It never worked easily for me, I always had to spend 45 minutes
screwing around with the printer to get anything to come out.
Conflicts with usblp module. Also, the installation process left some
things to be desired (e.g. foo2zjs webpage explicitly states not to
use distributions packages and to install it manually instead).
Basically it was always a hassle for me.

HPLIP is an official (and supported?) driver and seems to have all the
features that the Windows printer drivers have, which foo2zjs didn't
necessarily do (or do as easily). More importantly, it worked right
the first time I tried it.