-   -   busybox/mdev as a possible alternative to udev? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/576340-busybox-mdev-possible-alternative-udev.html)

"Walter Dnes" 09-16-2011 05:16 AM

busybox/mdev as a possible alternative to udev?

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:25:45PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote

> It does look like there will be some problems with Xorg and detecting
> input devices. I spent a few minuted digging around...and I have no
> leads on where Xorg ties into udev or hotplug. Heading to sleep for
> the night. This is getting interesting, though.

One of the benefits of HAL was that X was supposed to start up just
fine without an xorg.conf. We all know how that turned out. Maybe we
will have to back to using xorg.conf. I prefer being in control of
things. On the other hand, maybe mdev can do similar detection.

I'm volunteering for a candidate in the Ontario provincial election,
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_general_election,_2011 )
which is on October 6th. So I'll be a bit pressed for time till then.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Michael Mol 09-16-2011 12:15 PM

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:25:45PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
>
>> It does look like there will be some problems with Xorg and detecting
>> input devices. I spent a few minuted digging around...and I have no
>> leads on where Xorg ties into udev or hotplug. Heading to sleep for
>> the night. This is getting interesting, though.
>
> *One of the benefits of HAL was that X was supposed to start up just
> fine without an xorg.conf. *We all know how that turned out. *Maybe we
> will have to back to using xorg.conf. *I prefer being in control of
> things. *On the other hand, maybe mdev can do similar detection.

Actually, I kinda missed out on the whole HAL thing. A ways back, I
jumped from Gentoo back to Ubuntu*. I got sick of Ubuntu and jumped to
Arch just as HAL was majorly going out of style. I know this, because
all the info on keeping an Arch system conflicted as to whether or not
HAL was needed. Rather annoying. I bounced back to Ubuntu, and by the
time I got back to Gentoo last summer, HAL was gone.

I know what the HAL in Windows does, but I don't really know anything
about what the HAL in Linux did.

* I was stuck home with H1N1, had to work from home, and had my Gentoo
box go down without enough experience to know how to fix it. If I
wasn't stuck working from home, it wouldn't have been so critical. It
was, though, so I wiped and installed Ubuntu so I could get things
running again.

--
:wq